TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 12:09:22 pm
Home Login Register
News: caspian constructed some Class 31 Outhouse Materials   (Odds: 100%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Tips and Advice for Newbies!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tips and Advice for Newbies!!!  (Read 18555 times)
~KOO~ Fressaria
Centivelian
----------

<

« on: August 19, 2004, 08:44:04 pm »

Hi All!!

If you are a newbie, welcome to Toadwater.  As a mature newbie of Toadwater, I've noticed some interesting threads and posts on our beloved forum.  I'd like to pass on some tips from my friends on another game.  These tips will hopefully save you some pain and humiliation on our forum:

How to Avoid Being Flamed on the Toadwater Forum:
You're new to Toadwater. You've read the TW Manual (you did read the manual, right?), and now you're looking to interact with the other few hundred people that play. So, off to the forums you go. Your palms are sweaty, your heart is racing; and after much struggle, you finally post your first thread. You feel satisfied with yourself, and then sit and wait for someone to respond.

“STFU |\|00|3”

Your heart cries, your eyes water, and you wonder what you could have possibly done to make someone treat you so badly. This is a guide to understand what's going on in other people's heads, and how to avoid being like Scum.

Any time you're new to a forum, there's going to be at least a bit of elitism, just like there would be in any other close knit community that you're just becoming a member of. You must realize that these people have been talking to each other for long enough to build bonds of respect and/or hatred, and thus, what they think is gentle ribbing may come off as insulting.

There are a few mistakes that almost everyone makes as a forum newcomer, avoiding these few mistakes will help make your life (and everyone else's life for that matter) a whole lot easier.

Mistake #1:
You asked a question that was thoroughly discussed in the manual/guide/glossary, or was a topic on the forum less than 15 minutes ago. While we're all aware of the shortcomings of the TW Guide, most times if you spend a little bit of time to read the current threads, you'll see that most of your questions will have already been answered. People understandably get upset when newbies ask questions that everyone has already answered a thousand times. I was able to get a very firm grasp on the game in 3 weeks by reading the Guide and threads posted by other users. If you do this, when you actually have to ask a question, it will be one worth answering, and people won't have a problem helping you out.

Mistake #2:
u tYp lYk ThIs m8. If you type like that all the time. Face it. You're going to get picked on. 1337speek went out of style before it even caught on. Typing in alternating caps and using internet shorthand doesn't make you look cool; it makes you look like a flaming douche bag. To avoid being flamed, one should use proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. The only exception to this is when making a joke or if you do not speak English very well, but even then you should let everyone know so they'll be a little bit more forgiving with spelling and grammar errors.

Mistake #3:
You are a low ranking player, and you hop on the forums and act like you own the place, or are better than someone else, threatening to raid them. First of all, you're not going to be able to raid anyone until you're at least off cloud world, with enough money to buy the best axe.  Second, people don't like it when a new person jumps in their game and tries to act like hot stuff. Think about it. If you were hanging out with your friends and someone half your age came up to you talking trash and trying to act all cool, you'd slap him in the mouth and tell him to bugger off.

Mistake #4:
Asking for free stuff. While there are quite a few Toadwater players who have and abundance of gold, seeds, etc., they have worked very hard to get to where they are.  Don't ask them for stuff.  This does not mean that all the gods or top 50 players are selfish pigs.  In fact, many are very generous.  We just don't like to give stuff to people with attitude, or people who are unwilling to try making their own gold in the first place.  Please..also do not PM other users asking for items. 

If you only made one of those mistakes, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, most people make 2 or three of those mistakes, and then complicate matters when they immediately jump on the defensive if someone tells them to shut up for being an idiot.

Chances are, if someone is calling you an idiot in the forums, they're right, and you're wrong; so shut up, get over it, and move on.

I hope this simple guide was easy enough for you to understand, and I hope that you'll take these ideas into consideration when posting in the forums. It's my belief that should you follow these simple instructions, you'll have a wonderful time posting in the forums, and you'll get along with everyone else just fine. Happy Toadwatering!

The tips above were taken from an article by LucianoFerelli in the 18th issue of the Bootleggers Buzz.  Used and edited by Fress without permission.  Please do not kill my char!  Cry Huh
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:24:13 pm by Travis » Logged

[
PureUber - DEAD
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:47:01 pm »

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/gijoe-dance.mpg

<PureUber> anyone want to buy 900 water elm wood?
<Qill> How many bathrooms does it have
Photon
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:58:41 pm »

y0 p33Pz A11 Y0 g0Ld b310ngZ t0 m3H

* TheDrew rides the MyrrGo Round...
<TheDrew> I feel wrong now
<MyrrGo> I feel dirty
Angel of war
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:02:31 am »

stfu Grin
Roc
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 02:16:54 pm »

Wtf @ GI Joe Dance XD
Koriku
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 11:32:58 pm »

Hi All!!

If you are a newbie, welcome to Toadwater.  As a mature newbie of Toadwater, I've noticed some interesting threads and posts on our beloved forum.  I'd like to pass on some tips from my friends on another game.  These tips will hopefully save you some pain and humiliation on our forum:

How to Avoid Being Flamed on the Toadwater Forum: 
You’re new to Toadwater. You’ve read the TW Manual (you did read the manual, right?), and now you’re looking to interact with the other few hundred people that play. So, off to the forums you go. Your palms are sweaty, your heart is racing; and after much struggle, you finally post your first thread. You feel satisfied with yourself, and then sit and wait for someone to respond.

“STFU |\|00|3”

Your heart cries, your eyes water, and you wonder what you could have possibly done to make someone treat you so badly. This is a guide to understand what’s going on in other people’s heads, and how to avoid being like Scum.

Any time you’re new to a forum, there’s going to be at least a bit of elitism, just like there would be in any other close knit community that you’re just becoming a member of. You must realize that these people have been talking to each other for long enough to build bonds of respect and/or hatred, and thus, what they think is gentle ribbing may come off as insulting.

There are a few mistakes that almost everyone makes as a forum newcomer, avoiding these few mistakes will help make your life (and everyone else’s life for that matter) a whole lot easier.

Mistake #1:
You asked a question that was thoroughly discussed in the manual/guide/glossary, or was a topic on the forum less than 15 minutes ago. While we’re all aware of the shortcomings of the TW Guide, most times if you spend a little bit of time to read the current threads, you’ll see that most of your questions will have already been answered. People understandably get upset when “newbies” ask questions that everyone has already answered a thousand times. I was able to get a very firm grasp on the game in 3 weeks by reading the Guide and threads posted by other users. If you do this, when you actually have to ask a question, it will be one worth answering, and people won’t have a problem helping you out.

Mistake #2:
u tYp lYk ThIs m8. If you type like that all the time. Face it. You’re going to get picked on. 1337speek went out of style before it even caught on. Typing in alternating caps and using internet shorthand doesn’t make you look cool; it makes you look like a flaming douche bag. To avoid being flamed, one should use proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. The only exception to this is when making a joke or if you do not speak English very well, but even then you should let everyone know so they’ll be a little bit more forgiving with spelling and grammar errors.

Mistake #3:
You are a low ranking player, and you hop on the forums and act like you own the place, or are better than someone else, threatening to raid them. First of all, you’re not going to be able to raid anyone until you’re at least off cloud world, with enough money to buy the best axe.  Second, people don’t like it when a new person jumps in their game and tries to act like hot stuff. Think about it. If you were hanging out with your friends and someone half your age came up to you talking trash and trying to act all cool, you’d slap him in the mouth and tell him to bugger off.

Mistake #4:
Asking for free stuff.  While there are quite a few Toadwater players who have and abundance of gold, seeds, etc., they have worked very hard to get to where they are.  Don't ask them for stuff.  This does not mean that all the gods or top 50 players are selfish pigs.  In fact, many are very generous.  We just don't like to give stuff to people with attitude, or people who are unwilling to try making their own gold in the first place.  Please..also do not PM other users asking for items. 

If you only made one of those mistakes, it probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal. However, most people make 2 or three of those mistakes, and then complicate matters when they immediately jump on the defensive if someone tells them to shut up for being an idiot.

Chances are, if someone is calling you an idiot in the forums, they’re right, and you’re wrong; so shut up, get over it, and move on.

I hope this simple guide was easy enough for you to understand, and I hope that you’ll take these ideas into consideration when posting in the forums. It’s my belief that should you follow these simple instructions, you’ll have a wonderful time posting in the forums, and you’ll get along with everyone else just fine. Happy Toadwatering!

The tips above were taken from an article by LucianoFerelli in the 18th issue of the Bootleggers Buzz.  Used and edited by Fress without permission.  Please do not kill my char!  Cry Huh   

well u know some times guides arent as descriptive as a 1-1 convo with a person answering every thing u wanted instead of flipping pages and looking thru the book for a stupid answer that can jsut be easily answreed by some one else, and the pple who say " stfu noob" are just angry ppl who should even reply in the topic unless they have some thing better to say  ( they are bored and jsut want to harass ppl :p) and i find that very childish and inapropriate cuz for soem ppl listening to soem one is better then reading a manual for ever wasting valuible time for game play >.> so it is jsut inconsiderate ppl who say " stfu noob"
Giasumaru, A Shadow
Centivelian
----------

Alinord the Blade of Giasumaru!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:14:27 am »

i find that very childish and inapropriate cuz for soem ppl reading a manual is better then listening to soem one for ever wasting valuible time for their game play.

Maybe you are wasting someones valuable gameplay time because you were such an inconsiderate person making people take their valuable time to answer your questions.

Wow you are such an inconsiderate, childish, and inapropriate person.
dancingmonkey
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 12:27:23 am »

Really come on if she's 14, what else can she be but childish  :Smiley
I remember being a bam when I was 14, most people are, then they grow up and shudder at what they were....... hopefully.
Giasumaru, A Shadow
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 12:36:34 am »

Really come on if she's 14, what else can she be but childish  :Smiley
I remember being a bam when I was 14, most people are, then they grow up and shudder at what they were....... hopefully.

I'm 15. I started a year ago.
dew retting
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 06:43:53 am »

what kind of a name is giasumaru??

TWA = Toad Water Assholes
(most of them are, anyways)
Spacecow
Centivelian
----------

Kweh?

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 02:21:23 am »

i'm guessing probably either Japanese or Gibberish, the official language of newbies. (SEE! SEE! I fixed it so it's on topic again! WOOOOOO!)
Giasumaru, A Shadow
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 02:44:35 am »

i'm guessing probably either Japanese or Gibberish, the official language of newbies. (SEE! SEE! I fixed it so it's on topic again! WOOOOOO!)

Or a mixture of Both.
Zonos'
Centivelian
----------

ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 03:13:01 pm »

Man these beats are freshhhhhh ....SNAP

(04:09:32) (BrotherTreebeard) i'm a fucking perv when I get online

Roc
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 02:25:09 pm »

How are you, dwarves?

All your TWC base are belong to us.

You have no chance to survive, take your trees.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Take off every Idol!
Night-Eagle
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 07:10:42 pm »

Off topic: (Or on, I don't know)
[size=199][/size]
Alt. Mirrors
Dragonspun
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 07:21:49 pm »

Hello, I'm a newbie, so pardon if I ask a stupid question. I've read the manual and the intro and most of the forums too. Good thing I like to read. I find a lot of posts about multi clients for the same character, but nothing on multiple characters. Could someone tell me wether or not you are allowed to make other characters please? What if I get tired of my current guy or decide I messed him up somehow and want to try again? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Smiley

(335-07-1) 5:49:25 Dragonspun failed to whittle a Sugar Pine Scutching Sword (Odds: 21.22%) 
(335-07-1) 5:49:13 Dragonspun whittled a Sugar Pine Idol (Odds: 6.6%) 
(335-07-1) 5:49:07 Dragonspun failed to whittle a Sugar Pine Oar (Odds: 8.45%) 

Odds? What odds?
LinkGanon
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 08:23:46 pm »

sure you can make more chars! like lordshaggy, he made one to jump off early and see what it was like, clever act dude.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Tips and Advice for Newbies!!!
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group