TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 04:19:07 pm
Home Login Register
News: Jinjur finished fertilizing a field for Mopsi

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: IMPORTANT: Toadwater Active Policy & Terms of Service 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Toadwater Active Policy & Terms of Service  (Read 56003 times)
Dragoon
Centivelian
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2004, 04:10:56 am »

Note: Banned accounts will no longer be publicly revealed.  There is no reason to 'celebrate' the banning of an account, as it only encourages those who want to test the system.  Because the first one was temporarily revealed, some know who got the "Trophy." They may be willing to tell you Mr Green
Jingle Bob
Centivelian
----------

Hea guys, lets go play in the snow. :)

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004, 04:26:31 am »

Is this post their only warning?
Skcubrats
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 05:17:57 am »

No.

ROFL. When Qill posts this, then I will believe it.

Dragoon has found a new way of cheating.
Same old dragoon.
prask
Centivelian
----------

I'm a more of an oblate spheroid.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 05:20:47 am »

Thank you, Dragoon.

Post bans though.  Public ridicule is a wonderful thing.  Besides being amusing it has a tendency to push the outliers in the direction of the public norm.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 05:29:46 am by prask » Logged

Its official. Cheesy

Prask's ideas are good, and make sense.

prask knows what he's talking about.
Ispep Teid
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 05:45:14 am »

I think that the ban should be a public notice.  If you never see anyone banned you may think it isn't working.  But see a list of recent players who were banned would keep the other "would-be" cheaters from testing the process.

Good work on the banning over all!

Peanuts
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 07:32:59 am »

i agree with ispep, without these steps being taken, multi-clienting would ultimatly have been the death of toadwater because of the bad feeling it was generating. but it has to be seen to be working, it is not a case of celebrating banning of any particular player, rather a celebration of the fact that the game will be on a level playing field for all players Wink

" I don't like mondays, but tuesdays really piss me off"
PureUber - DEAD
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004, 08:45:56 am »

OH also, a while back i came accross some interesting logs in someones profile and they denyed that they cheated, so maybe that person didnt cheat and it was some kind of glitch?

If thats the case its also means you cant ban someone for having somthing like this for example in their log:

(334-25-6) 7:33:24 annon whittled a Grade 4 Plank (Odds: 117.05%)
(334-25-6) 7:33:24 annon whittled a Grade 4 Plank (Odds: 117.05%)

Somthing like that where only 2 logs are from the same second.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 08:51:04 am by PureUber » Logged

<PureUber> anyone want to buy 900 water elm wood?
<Qill> How many bathrooms does it have
Stoffel
Centivelian
----------

Thought the sun would come deliver me

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 07:37:28 pm »

This is an excellent step.  I'm only concerned that two of my usage modes might be confused with cheating:

1) Waiting a long time before answering a pop-up (as a user stated prior); I sometimes flip to PartyPoker or something else and may not realize I got popped on one of my queued actions.

2) Playing TW from multiple IPs but with a large time gap in between--at work (lunch hour only!) & at home.

I'd assume there's such a vast difference between the major offenders and casual users like myself that it'd be very difficult to confuse my behavior with cheating, so I'm not concerned.  Good luck, thanks for taking this on!
Tomny
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 08:19:31 pm »

2) Playing TW from multiple IPs but with a large time gap in between--at work (lunch hour only!) & at home.

You can play from an unlimited amount of IPs, just so long as they are not concurrent.  So play at work, logout, walk down to the coffee shop, play there, logout, go home, play, logout, wander to a friends, play there...logout...ect, ect.

The only issue is if you're playing at home and at work at the same time...so tell your kids/spouse if you share an account.
Dragoon
Centivelian
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 08:40:54 pm »

I think that the ban should be a public notice.  If you never see anyone banned you may think it isn't working.  But see a list of recent players who were banned would keep the other "would-be" cheaters from testing the process.

Good work on the banning over all!

There is an error in your system, Ispep.

What would you rather have?

Toadwater with people who WOULD CHEAT if they found a good time to do it.
      Toadwater with people who would NEVER Cheat.

If people don't 'see' the system working, then cheat, they will get caught and punished. The system will repeat until all cheaters are banned. Who are left? Honest players.  If we keep 'score', we are only delaying cheaters from cheating until they find the right time to. Does that make sense?
Tomny
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2004, 08:50:42 pm »

If people don't 'see' the system working, then cheat, they will get caught and punished. The system will repeat until all cheaters are banned. Who are left? Honest players.  If we keep 'score', we are only delaying cheaters from cheating until they find the right time to. Does that make sense?

I think if those who would cheat see others being punished for cheating, they will be less likely to
a) Cheat
b) Stay
and
c) Join

If a prospective player sees a game with "nothing" being done about cheating (because it is hidden) then:
If they are honest, they are less likely to join this "den of cheaters" since they won't see much success playing fair...
and
If they are cheaters, they will either not join at all or play fairly.

Yes this is a broad generalization, but how many people out there are kept honest because of fear of punishment?  I'd wager more than we'd be comfortable admitting.
LOLZNUBCOPTERgoodbye
I like to argue.
Centivelian
----------

Quote List: http://twquote.blogspot.com

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2004, 10:38:36 pm »

I play another game that lists players who got punished... It was really creepy... But it also really discouraged cheating.

I quit forever.

<Myrrdin> I have the power of wind, but I keep breaking it

<Rockstar> Haiku time!
<Rockstar> Two ducks start flying
<Rockstar> I shoot once, twice, thrice, no luck
<Rockstar> The dog laughs at me
kalinblack
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 06:13:35 am »

how does Qill do this if not by cheating?
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Black Tupelo Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Quaking Aspen Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Bunya-Bunya Pine Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Dune Holly Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Katsura Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Hackberry Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Quaking Aspen Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill scraped 1339 flakes of Enriched Bird Poo off of a Bleh Statue (Statue Owner: Qill) 54.4% 
(334-25-7) 6:48:58 Qill wiped off a Bleh Statue and found a Hackberry Seed inside some creamy bird droppings. (Statue Owner: Qill) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:53 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:53 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:51 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:51 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:50 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 
(334-25-7) 6:48:50 Qill planted a Flowering Dogwood Tree in 100% EBP fertilized soil (Odds: 191.64%) 

Anok Naiiawah
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 07:47:12 am »

Why would I cheat?  I have access to the database

Pronounced 'Kill'  ("I was Qilled")

Skcubrats
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2004, 09:35:17 am »

Why would I cheat?  I have access to the database
Well, since you asked.  Angry
It is well know that you do not like the call for action against cheats, so you are trying to muddy the waters.

You did ask.  Undecided
Anok Naiiawah
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2004, 09:41:58 am »

If I wanted to cheat, I'd just change some numbers in the database. 

Pronounced 'Kill'  ("I was Qilled")

Tomny
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2004, 02:44:36 pm »

how does Qill do this if not by cheating?

SNIP

Explanation One, Trees:  You can plant several trees (at least three, perhaps more) in one second.  Its not an exploit, just some actions don't take much longer than the time it takes to relay the command from the client to the server.

Explanation Two, Seeds from Statues:  When wiping a statue with a lot of droppings on it, you get a chance to get a seed with each dropping.  With just a few dropping you are pretty unlikely to get any seeds (if you're lucky you might get one).  But wipe off 100 or more droppings and you'll likely see multiple seeds from the same wipe.  They will all show in the same second as will any EBP you get.  So once again, this is not an exploit but programmed behavior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: IMPORTANT: Toadwater Active Policy & Terms of Service
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group