TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2019, 02:51:02 pm
Home Login Register
News: Cotyledon whittled 2 Grade 35 Plank   (Odds: 100%)  (Thirst: 126.50)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  The Padded Cell  |  Topic: "How do I level fast?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "How do I level fast?"  (Read 12594 times)
Twisti
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:47:08 am »

A question almost every newbie will ask at some point. How you level your char or a specific skill the fastest. I know there are people who don't care, but let's face it, they are the minority, so please don't use this topic for an argument about the pros and cons of focussing on levels. As macroing is hugely debateable, this will not be covered either.

What this topic IS about is sharing tips, guides, manuals to leveling overall or leveling something specific for other players - not neccessarily only new players. I have even seen a god or two discover something they didn't know about on IRC. But replies can range from absolute insider tips to step-by-step guides on understanding the basics of raising specific skills.

I will try to compile all your tips and hints into an easily readable text, and maybe clatra will put it in the Wiki once it's done.
Twisti
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:38:15 am »

I will start out by writing a bit about farming, because I just assigned hundreds of fertilizing jobs Smiley Your replies don't HAVE to be this elaborate, but it would be nice if they were. I don't know anything about tomatoes or pumpkins.

Feel free to criticize, correct or add. Feel especially free to correct my spelling or grammar, english is not my first language.

Farming - How to go from 10.00 to Rank #1

When you just start out, farming is hard. You will have to pick each item seperatly, and when you plant crops yourself, it will sometimes yield nothing at all - a complete waste of the seeds. If you read this, it will be much less painful to make those first steps.

First, some cold facts on the topic of farming:

You farm by fertilizing a plot of ground, selecting 100 seeds of any type, then clicking the fertilized plot. You harvest the crop by stepping on it and clicking yourself once it has finished growing. If your farming skill is above one half of the required maximum for a specific crop (see below), you will be able to pick all crops of a specific type with a single click. Be careful, as in the case of hemp this can take almost ten points of health in a single click. Every type of crop yields an amount of compost worms.

To plant anything, you will need a plot of 100% fertilized ground (with the exception of Pumpkins, which will not be covered in this article due to their unique nature). Which Fertilizer you use does not matter, however you should take note that the valueable Enriched Bird Poo does NOT double your chances at planting crops, like it does for trees. It still speeds up the growth, but since it doesn't raise your chances at all, it would be a waste of this valueable ressource. The best way to get massive amounts of fertilizer is buying Grandma's Homemade Poo from the store. As you raise your farming, you will get a lot of Compost Worms, which you can then use to fertilize more plots for farming.

Everything you can plant (as far as farming goes) can be bought from the store, aside, again, of Pumpkins.

Radishes are the most easy crop to plant. They take 60 minutes (real minutes) to grow, and cost 100 gold per field. Radishes yield an assortment of normal radishes, that mostly buff your stats, as well as the more rare Gold Radishes, the most stable currency in TW, as well as the extremely rare and valueable Death Cap Mushroom and Flaming Fungus. Radishes take 200.00 effective farming skill to plant at 100%, which will then yield a so called 'full crop', which means that every single field in the crop view is filled.

The second crop are the members only Strawberries. They take 144 minutes to grow, and cost 700 gold per field. Straberries yield red strawberries, the primary healing item for members, strawberry leaves, which are used in cooking and are a valueable currency right now, and the more rare sour wiggleberries, which can scare away birds, but have little to no value in trades. Strawberries take 300 effective farming skill to plant at 100%.

The third crop is Industrial Hemp. Hemp takes 120 minutes to grow and costs 1,000 gold per field. Hemp yields hemp stalks, the base item for textile/weaving, as well as Death Cap Mushroom and Flaming Fungus. Hemp takes 400 effective farming skill to plant at 100%

So much for the data. How do I get there?

If you are completely on your own, it will be a hard journey. If possible at all, get a neighbour to plant some crops for you - picking a full crops will yield you obscene amounts of XP when you are just starting, while your own crops will be almost pointless to pick. If you absolutely can not get any help, fertilize a lot before you start planting, as fertilizing will get you farming XP, and is not penalized by your low farming skill. Once you start planting crops, you should of course go for radishes first. Once you planted the first few crops, you will get a few China Rose Radishes, which you should eat as to raise your farming skill early on.

As your skill increases past 100.00, you will be able to pick radishes much more easy, which will be a welcome relief. However you are still far from the point at which you can move onto the next crop.

I'll add more later.
Matt Siegman
über programmer
Apprentice
----------

C++ ftw!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »

Nice work.

[MILF] Light Daemon
Centivelian
----------

Time. Why do you punish me?

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 06:13:33 pm »

You left out Tomatoes.

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

**Not my own work, but fits my life right now**
Eagle Owl
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:19:52 pm »

Tip for newbs:

When you first start out you get farming xp for fertilizing.  So fertilize as much as you have poo/compost worms for.  (Remember to dig for compost worms at the top of the metric hour.)

You don't have to plant crops in the fertilized squares yet and it's a good idea not to because you won't get much from farming radishes until your skill level is higher.  Instead, plant trees in the fertilized squares.  This will increase your odds for growing trees and not waste fertilizer on crops you won't even recover your investment in seed money for.
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 07:42:33 pm »

I'd like to add a little tip for lvling... if you have low hp, get a few lvl 1 mallets, and bang on a high lvl fence until about 90%, then shovel the fence out of the ground and put it back and start oover... quick xp ^_^

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
Davlestor the Beneficent
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 06:51:36 pm »

Bump.

Some useful hints in here for new players.

In that spirit: go fuck yourself, you egocentric bitch. And we are the kings of cool.
Arya of Winterfell
Centivelian
----------

Uno por uno los pinginos se roban mi sanidad.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 06:53:54 pm »

Thank you for enlightening us once more...

Arya  Kiss

"Happiness doesn't result from what we get,
but from what we give."
— Ben Carson

(o_           (o_
(o_//\(o_  (@_//\         (O_
//\U_///\~/~A\V_/_      //\
U_/_  V_/ \//_)_          V_/_ They're following me...
Twisti
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 08:50:30 pm »

I shall update this soon.
HolyMan13
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 04:04:17 am »

Dig, and a lot, until level 25 (where it stops giving you XP). It gives you level XP. Plus, seeds and compost worms.

<mattsiegman> do not underestimate the power of the dark side

<[twisti]> 5-3=3

Ajira2k
Centivelian
----------

Ex-communicado

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:52 pm »

Regarding Farming vs Levelling

Farming is an effective way to level up to a certain point.  Before your farming skill reaches 100.00, you must pick all your crops individually, granting you one (life) XP for each click.  This is a very good xp:crop ratio.  After 100.00 farming xp however, all produce of an individual type will be gathered with one click, granting all appropriate farming XP, but still only ONE life XP.  If you're using farming as a method to raise your levels, it would be most productive to grow Radishes, as there are many types of produce in a single radish crop.
Twisti
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 08:37:43 pm »

Actually, youd be best off picking hemp someone else planted, since youll need like 200 farming before it becomes one-click, whereas radishes become one-click at skill 100.
Thoridan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 08:38:24 pm »

He's right. Or strawberrys..they are like..~150.

Thoridan failed to whittle a Grade 10 Plank (Odds: 99.73%)
Twisti
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:59 am »

125 last I heard.
Ajira2k
Centivelian
----------

Ex-communicado

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 01:06:51 am »

It makes sense that it would be half the skill required to grow them at 100%
Twisti
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 01:47:06 am »

It does, but it doesnt seem to be the case.
HolyMan13
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 01:33:28 am »

It is 125. I died a while back when my farming went above 125 when I was picking them, because I picked them all and ran out of health (insted of one at a time), I died.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:51:18 am by HolyMan13 » Logged

<mattsiegman> do not underestimate the power of the dark side

<[twisti]> 5-3=3

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  The Padded Cell  |  Topic: "How do I level fast?"
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group