TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 04:17:02 pm
Home Login Register
News: Katai finished fertilizing a field for Alchy

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Any way to get seeds faster? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Any way to get seeds faster?  (Read 4273 times)
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« on: March 25, 2007, 03:06:10 am »

I'm really new to toadwater (joined last night), and I'm currently in CW building up my set of idols (just attached an idol to a white fir tree, yay). When I want to get seeds, say, my new cottonwood seeds, I go through a tedious process:

-Dig a hole with my hands, 101mm deep. Gets 200-400 balsam seeds.
-Plop a lvl 1 outhouse on the hole.
-Fill up the outhouse.*
-Shovel the poo.
-Repeat above until desired quantity of  balsam seeds is reached.
-Go to my idol-center and sacrifice to the wanted level.

The problem with this is that it takes so long. Digging the hole is generally not so bad (I could speed it up by using a shovel, but I've tried this and I don't seem to get as many seeds over time), and neither are shoveling the poo (since I can use a lvl 3+3 shovel, or now 4+4) or sacrificing to the idol (easiest since it increases how many it produces by 1 per click); the main problem is the filling of the outhouse- I have to stand on a tree and press e 100 times to fill a lvl 1 outhouse. I timed it, and its about 6 metric seconds per eat, which means about 6 metric minutes (I think that's the right term) per outhouse. If you start doing the math on how long it would take to get a decent amount of a bit higher seed (lvl 4/5/6 etc) it begins to be pretty silly.

So my question is this: how can I fill up my poo bar more quickly (to 'plode the outhouse) or otherwise speed up the process of getting low level seeds? Does anyone have any tips/tricks, etc?

<Artis_Aci> *screams* Yay!
<[twisti]> you awe the government 12.5m gold
<Artis_Aci> What?
[rebel]lion
scrolling n00b
Centivelian
----------

No matter what happens, control the outcome.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:30:13 am »

First off, I would like to thank you for thoughtfully laying out an intelligent post. And about your predicament, the only way you can get poo faster is by growing radishes. Eating round black spanish radishes increases your poo by 10 at a time. But don't run off and plant radishes, either. You will get little to no radishes from one crop at this point. You need a higher farming skill to get more radishes. Fertilizing fields with the compost worms you dig up or buying a magazine with the money you make from selling your poo are about your only options to up your farming skill for now. And before you whine and say it is too hard, remember that everyone else here has already done it. Wink

I would also like to say welcome to the toadwater community. I hope you have a good experience here, and I hope you stay a while.

If you have not already(and you may have, because you sound pretty well educated about this) I would suggest reading the "Getting started" guide by clicking on this

Jesus, what are you, 9 ? That's the worst spelling I've ever seen, and I practically live on the internets. I officially declare you mentaly handicapped. You get a free parking space.
i)ght
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:36:11 am »

If you let you trees age, they will begin to give you more wood and seeds. Every 100 days the tree is old you have a chance of getting another seed when you chop down that tree(chances for seeds go up according to forestry level). so if you plant multiple cottonwood trees and let them age for 1 year you will most likely break even with seeds or even gain some. 100 tree days is equal to 24 hours. if you need more room in your cloudworld chop out the fences surrounding you but be extra careful not to accidently jump off.

10:32:15 pm    i)ght washed 8 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0%)
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 03:48:38 am »

First off, I would like to thank you for thoughtfully laying out an intelligent post. And about your predicament, the only way you can get poo faster is by growing radishes. Eating round black spanish radishes increases your poo by 10 at a time. But don't run off and plant radishes, either. You will get little to no radishes from one crop at this point. You need a higher farming skill to get more radishes. Fertilizing fields with the compost worms you dig up or buying a magazine with the money you make from selling your poo are about your only options to up your farming skill for now. And before you whine and say it is too hard, remember that everyone else here has already done it. Wink

I would also like to say welcome to the toadwater community. I hope you have a good experience here, and I hope you stay a while.

If you have not already(and you may have, because you sound pretty well educated about this) I would suggest reading the "Getting started" guide by clicking on this

Thanks for the reply.
I'll probably just tough it out for a couple more tree levels and then try some farming (I get to buy those seeds  Wink).

As to the manual & newbie guide(s), I have a couple browsers running them at all times. I love how it's in a wiki like that, makes it really easy to find everything.

Again, thanks. I'm hoping for a good experience here too, and, by the looks of it, I'll probably be here for a good sum of time. I'm liking the community and the sheer simplicity of the game.
Edit- Something's buggy, having trouble posting a reply O.o. Thanks for your reply as well i)ght. I chopped off all the fences around me and nearly killed my axe (well, not really, but I thought it might- 3100/3200 hp on it now). Anyway, I'd best get to it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:51:35 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
LumberJane
Centivelian
----------

I love trees!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 03:49:08 am »

I'd like to further suggest that you hire workers to remove the fences, since chopping them yourself will cost you more than it's really worth, imo. And while black radishes do give you 10 poo each, gold radishes will fill you nearly completely and boost all your stats as well. But I also agree that you should work on your farming level before attempting radishes too often, as it will also end up losing you money if you don't get a decent crop. Also the older you let your trees age, the more the wood will be worth from them. Even a small difference can be something to a new player. Smiley
Welcome to Toadwater. Smiley

LumberJane- Female lumberjack
[16:36:33] <Dragoon> Well, I was emotionally distraught when I was rejected by LumberJane
Banner by Treewalker Smiley
slipknot
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 03:56:56 am »

buy a membership you cheap shit, and vote for me.

Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 05:16:11 am »

buy a membership you cheap shit, and vote for me.
lol.

Anyway, as an afterthought, does anyone know offhand at which tree levels it becomes more efficient to age trees to get wood and seeds than to patrol around CW planting in almost every square then cutting down when you get to that spot again (and then digging for seeds when you run out)? Or is this one of those personal things you just have to try for yourself?

Edit- Oh, at least as far as the wood goes, there's no point in aging if you have the ability to cut it as soon as its grown ([lvl] days versus 365 days), as it is in CW. As for seeds, it takes 24 hours for each new seed (if you can plant at 100%), and in cloudworld, thats less than 4 seeds per hour (81 squares/24 hrs). So I probably won't have to worry about this for a while (ie. no need to reply).
Of course when you're not at the keyboard, CW aging may be useful.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:32:47 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
Benalron
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 11:09:52 am »

Efficient is a very subjective term since the variable "time" is relative to an individuals priority list. personally I still don't age trees... but since you are in cloud world I would plant them before you stop playing... and when you start again chop them down unless they are like X80-X99 days old. when you finally jump what you  might want to do is attempt to get a wood duck, trade for trees of each level and plant them out in a row so you can chop them down when you get to them to attempt higher level stuff. This is rather effective because you chop the higher level trees down later and they also take more attempts to whittle the item succesfully.

As for raw forestry experience though I do not believe that is effected by age. it's a constant amount when chopping down trees based on axe level, and the amount of swings.

(337-04-7) 6:23:51      Benalron failed to weave a pair of Middling Milking Gloves (Odds: 99.9%)

(336-28-3) 7:89:10 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:89:05 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:88:99 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed bag (Odds: 6.7%
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:03:35 pm »

Aging on cloudworld is inefficient. A balsam fir will grow in 1 day, so you could plant 365 CWs full of balsams in the time it'd take 1 CW full of balsams to get to 1 year of age. After cloudworld, however, 100 days old is the most efficient if you have a way of chopping the tree down with 100% success at wood & seeds.

Aging out in the real world is actually extremely helpful. Say I wanted to plant 10,000 trees. If I chopped them and replanted them every day, that'd be hours and hours of hard gaming to do. But say I just leave them in the ground, then every day, that's 10,000 more seeds, and every 3.65 days, that's another 10,000 wood! You get those seeds and wood for no extra work either! You just need the space to plant them.

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
Twisti
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 03:33:03 pm »

Artis, you seem to be a determined power player, and as such, it is likely in your interest to leave CW as soon as possible. But be sure to read about jumping and find some free land first. Still, if you figured out on your own that aging trees more than 100 days is useless, you are ready to jump.
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 11:56:57 pm »

Artis, you seem to be a determined power player, and as such, it is likely in your interest to leave CW as soon as possible. But be sure to read about jumping and find some free land first. Still, if you figured out on your own that aging trees more than 100 days is useless, you are ready to jump.

Do you know any places with good bunches of land right now? I'm probably going to jump later today (need to get all my cottonwood fences built and waxed). (Also, should I  ask this in another thread?)

<Artis_Aci> What?
[rebel]lion
scrolling n00b
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:00:15 am »

If Benalron could get you in, there are decent amounts of land on c7 by me. I could help you out with anything you need, also. Smiley

Jesus, what are you, 9 ? That's the worst spelling I've ever seen, and I practically live on the internets. I officially declare you mentaly handicapped. You get a free parking space.
LumberJane
Centivelian
----------

I love trees!

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:08:11 am »

This is the best place, since people are already responding to you. Makes it easier to keep track of a single thread. Smiley

LumberJane- Female lumberjack
[16:36:33] <Dragoon> Well, I was emotionally distraught when I was rejected by LumberJane
Banner by Treewalker Smiley
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 12:26:55 am »

If Benalron could get you in, there are decent amounts of land on c7 by me. I could help you out with anything you need, also. Smiley

That would be great! I probably won't need much help (I try to be as independent as I can), but I'm sure some time in the future we could do some trading or something.
Is there anything specific I need to do while I'm waiting for my fences to grow? Do I need to PM Benalron (does he have the gates around the relevant newbworlds or something?)?

<Artis_Aci> What?
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:36 am »

personally ide suggest finding a decent lvl player do donate some fencing for your first base-im sure theres someone who can part with a few hundered, maybe even a thousand low 20's

this will save u time in the future

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
i)ght
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 12:32:19 am »

i could give you about 500 lvl 23 fences if you can find a way to get to south winter island.

10:32:15 pm    i)ght washed 8 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0%)
[rebel]lion
scrolling n00b
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 12:33:31 am »

And I cannot do that one Undecided

But yes, artis, i would suggest pming benalron. I believe he has fences on noob world. If not, theres probly somebody who could.

Are you planning on becoming a member any time soon? If so i could maybe set you up with some stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Any way to get seeds faster?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group