TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 04:33:53 pm
Home Login Register
News: Flinnt finished fertilizing a field for Mopsi

Toadwater  |  Toad Server Cage  |  General Support  |  Topic: Odd Popup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Odd Popup  (Read 4287 times)
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« on: October 21, 2007, 01:15:43 pm »

I just got a popup when selecting my staff

'twas the first action of the day, so I'm  a bit confused, - I remember finishing up after answering one last night, but certainly didnt leave it on-screen. My client was left open, too: so it wasn't as if I'd shut it down with one active. Log seems to think that last night's was never answered

Any ideas what would cause a popup to go away, and then return next time you do something... even if thats the next morning?
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:50:03 pm »

Mystery solved: I'd accidentally forgotten to exit twc on the office computer, and somehow the popup had appeared there:

it looks like if theres a 2nd client (even if its not doing anything other than the default refresh every x seconds) popups can end up there instead, presumeably only if the 2nd client refreshes at an inopportune moment.
Twisti
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »

No, that doesn't happen. Popups go to every client. You simply didn't answer yours last night.
DMC Buruguduy
Centivelian
----------

I fight for toadwater

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 03:14:01 pm »

:Smiley

-snickers-

(337-33-2) 2:63:27 DMC Buruguduy chopped down a Grade 100 Fence
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »

There was no popup on-screen on my "home" computer until I did something this morning. - when I selected my staff a popup appeared, along with the brown "keep trying.. you'll get it right" message.

- and that's ignoring me remembering answering it last night.
Twisti
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 04:42:12 pm »

Well, you seem to have a lot of problems with popups, looking at your log it apparently sometimes takes you five minutes to answer a single popup when you were clearly playing. Cough cough.
DMC Buruguduy
Centivelian
----------

I fight for toadwater

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Noone would've probably noticed if you hadn't made this topic.  Cheesy

(337-33-2) 2:63:27 DMC Buruguduy chopped down a Grade 100 Fence
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »

I made the topic when I thought a popup had just appeared when I selected my staff Wink If I'd have seen the office PC before posting I'd have kept schtum, seeing as I shouldn't have had more than 1 client running, even if not active.

as for twisti's point, I believe I've kept within the limit, although I do leave actions queued up and alt-tab quite often... I should probably stop doing that, given that its only going to be a matter of time before I miss one.
Matt Siegman
über programmer
Apprentice
----------

C++ ftw!

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 05:54:45 pm »

You should close extra clients when they aren't being used, lest you be accused of, i dunno, multi clienting...

Twisti
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 06:14:29 pm »

Extra clients that just idle neither load nor cause nor steal popups. They are effectively non existent in this problem. And I don't think keeping a popup up over night is "within the limit".

Again: your office PC having a popup or not does not make the popup somehow invisible to your home PC. Nor could the office PC caused a popup while you slept or anything of that sort.
Twisti
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 06:17:01 pm »

Oh, and as for "I do leave actions queued up and alt-tab quite often" - that apparently happens to you ONLY when you get popups, as all the actions are back to back with no delay, theres only ever a delay in your logs when you get a popup. Man, you must be the unluckiest person in the world. Cough cough.
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 03:21:52 am »

Popups go to every client.

Extra clients that just idle neither load nor cause nor steal popups.

Which is it?

I assume that what you're trying to say is that popups are sent on all posted action=  or hoard= requests, except for action=refresh.

If popups aren't sent on refesh, then  I couldn't end up with a popup on the office PC, which will *only* have been posting action=refresh.

If popups are sent on refresh, then I couldn't select my staff, given that the popup dialog is modal and I wouldnt have been able to select anything, also the popup would have been loaded hundreds of times overnight, or at least once.

Again, there was no popup on-screen on this computer until I selected my staff this (now yesterday) morning, if it truly was a popup from the preceding evening, then the logs will show it being loaded, and an answer posted at the time.

As for previous logs, Im sure that if you look back through a more representative sample of logs, (and by that I mean *not* just the past week, when my playing patterns have been more intensive due to the edicts) then you'll see that I frequently play in fits and starts, with many gaps of seemingly random duration. I severely doubt that all, or even a majority of these gaps in play coincide with popups.

cakerug
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 04:11:49 am »

Popups go to every client.

Extra clients that just idle neither load nor cause nor steal popups.

Active clients can cause popups, but idle clients don't. He's implying that your "idle" client wasn't very idle.
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:15:31 pm »

that makes a lot more sense, but it should be evident from the logs that it isn't the case. Action from the office should die out around 10pm.
Twisti
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 03:21:28 pm »

I suppose it's just a super freak coincidence that there were gaps of random duration, and that they were EXCLUSIVELY after you got a popup. As said, you must truly be the most unlucky person in the entire world. Apparently, each time you alt tabbed to check a web page, you got a popup. Weirder things have happened! (not really)
ramrod
Centivelian
----------

C equals 3

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 03:43:23 pm »

busted

For Decency, Morality and Chastity!
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 05:37:09 pm »

there were gaps of random duration, and that they were EXCLUSIVELY after you got a popup.

That simply isn't the case. At best you've seen a few instances when they coincide, and only during an edict week when there's more intense play, and more chance of it happening: even then, I expect there are none that fall outside the limit, ignoring the disputed instance that this thread was originally regarding.

If you're accusing me of leaving the office PC macroing after I've gone home for the evening, which is what jeek seems to think, then that should easily be disproved by seeing that the construction done late that evening was from home, and that the office PC was idle.

If you're accusing me of macroing on the home PC, and going to bed leaving a popup (that had already had at least one answer attempt) on, then the evidence from the next morning's log, which shows me selecting my staff before the popup is loaded should be sufficient to disprove it, despite the obvious "why would I do that?" questions raised.

If you're accusing me of taking too long to answer popups on previous occaisions, then it comes down to how many occaisions (if any) the time limit has been exceded, and if I was exhibiting stop-start behaviour at the time. I suspect there isn't anything here either.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toad Server Cage  |  General Support  |  Topic: Odd Popup
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group