TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 12:13:56 pm
Home Login Register
News: Jinjur finished fertilizing a field for Mopsi

Toadwater  |  Toad Server Cage  |  General Support  |  Topic: Odd Popup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Odd Popup  (Read 4282 times)
Twisti
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 06:09:56 pm »

Let's get one thing out of the way right away: it was a farming edict, and you were constructing fences. I see no logical connection as to why a farming edict would make you construct harder.

You log looked simple: one fence every 6-8 seconds, 4-5 minute pauses each time you got a popup, and ONLY THEN. If you had checked web pages in between for 4-5 minutes at a time, it would have shown up throughout your log, not just when you got a popup.

And your whole complicated argument involving the office PC and your staff: your whole card house of an explanation could be explained away by one keystroke: Escape. Closes the popup without answering it and lets you, for example, select your staff. Woops, there goes your intricate story about the office PC magically getting a popup while being idle and somehow preventing you from selecting your sta... bla b la bla.

Oh, by the way, even if the office PC had done something to get that popup, like a mouse shitting on the keyboard and hitting the f key: how come it happened THE VERY SECOND you decided to stop constructing for the day ?

It's not like you got a random popup in the middle of the night. You got a popup the very second you stopped constructing (or rather, you stopped constructing the moment you got a popup). Are we really to believe that it was a random coincidence and you just decided to stop that very second, not knowing about the popup at work ? Just in case you are wondering, the chance of that happening is about 0.00001157%
slipknot
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 06:20:06 pm »

bend over and take it like a man. Tongue

spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 07:47:08 pm »

Let's get one thing out of the way right away: it was a farming edict, and you were constructing fences. I see no logical connection as to why a farming edict would make you construct harder.

You are correct on this, it was a farming edict. I'd finished farming for the day and was using up the "free" thirst left over from the quench edict, which according to recent wisdom, expires after 24 hours.

You log looked simple: one fence every 6-8 seconds, 4-5 minute pauses each time you got a popup, and ONLY THEN. If you had checked web pages in between for 4-5 minutes at a time, it would have shown up throughout your log, not just when you got a popup.

Thats within the limit, and is moot.

And your whole complicated argument involving the office PC and your staff: your whole card house of an explanation could be explained away by one keystroke: Escape. Closes the popup without answering it and lets you, for example, select your staff. Woops, there goes your intricate story about the office PC magically getting a popup while being idle and somehow preventing you from selecting your sta... bla b la bla.

You're correct, doesn't look like its possible to prove absolutely that the popup wasn't on screen. It should still be possible to show that the office PC loaded the popup by looking at the http logs and spotting multiple requests for the popup from different machines.

I don't have an intricate story, I've merely said that there was no popup at home until I did something, (which is why Im not happy about getting told off about it) and that when I went to the office there was one there, which I'd bet has something to do with the lack of one at home.

Oh, by the way, even if the office PC had done something to get that popup, like a mouse shitting on the keyboard and hitting the f key: how come it happened THE VERY SECOND you decided to stop constructing for the day ?

As I said above, I stopped constructing *after* answering the popup, (seemingly incorrectly, hence the "keep trying" message in the morning.) To my knowlege, the office PC did nothing other than the default idle refresh. It shouldn't have had the popup, yet there it was. Im certainly not saying that a popup happened to occur the moment I stopped constructing.

It's not like you got a random popup in the middle of the night. You got a popup the very second you stopped constructing (or rather, you stopped constructing the moment you got a popup). Are we really to believe that it was a random coincidence and you just decided to stop that very second, not knowing about the popup at work ? Just in case you are wondering, the chance of that happening is about 0.00001157%

Im not saying this at all, I stated in my 3rd post that I stopped playing *after* seemingly answering the popup, and that it seemingly told me to try again the next morning. Also, the chances of a popup occuring on the last action of the evening are the same as for any other.
Lemonade
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:20 pm »

You talk a lot, but it's all nonsence spheric. Those are all imitations of logical arguments, but bad one's.
Twisti
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »

Hubert is a wise man.
Doctor Horrible
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 09:42:24 pm »

And you just happened not to notice the keep trying message the first time it popped up?
Ajira2k
Centivelian
----------

Ex-communicado

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 09:13:44 pm »

Popup happened at the end of your office work?  Did you fill in the popup and then leave?  If so, had you typed the code incorrectly, the popup would re-appear, and upon logging in at home, the first action you would perform would cause the popup to appear on your home client.
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 01:08:21 pm »

People still dont seem clear what Im saying, although seem to be enjoying winding me up somewhat Wink

The popup occured whilst playing at home, was answered at the time, and the box didn't re-appear.

I went to bed, leaving the client open, then next morning as soon as I performed an action, a popup (presumeably the same: no way I would be able to remember the code from the previous evening) along with the brown "keep trying" message.

I answered the popup, checked my logs, started this thread and then went to the office

When I got to the office, I saw twc still running - it got left on the previous evening and had been idle all night,  The popup from home was also on the office PC.

As for "nonsence" - or more correctly nonsense,

Twisti tries to give the impression that I'm saying I went to bed leaving one final action remaining and it caused a popup, which isn't what I've said at all: - does enable him to go on quite an interesting rant complete with dodgy mathematics though.

For that matter, he also tries to give the impression that I'd been sat around constructing all day, only pausing for popups, when in fact I'd been constructing only for something around 40 minutes: or more accurately long enough to use up a full thirst bar.

Jester's point: there should have been a keep trying message the first time I answered it is correct, I simply cannot know whether it was there and I missed it or not.

Twisti and the bend over brigade seem to be arguing that I made a construction macro and then went to bed, which doesn't hold up to scruitiny at all. First, I'd only get what: 50? 100? fences made before a popup, which would then be lingering all night... Nobody in their right mind would see that as worth bothering with. Secondly, if I had somehow taken leave of my senses and decided to macro while I slept, or fallen asleep accidentally, or forgotten to turn a macro off or something I certainly wouldn't have drawn attention to it.

Lemonade
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »

You obviously tought it was worth it...maybe you are implieing you are not in your right mind. That would explain the pages worth of illogical arguments.

If you don't understand that not playing anymore right before answering a popup looks at least very suspicious, you are retarded. If you get a popup, answer it and do another action just to be sure, if you can't bother with that 1 click, you are just looking for excuses to justify your macroing.
Gnilehdnam Artamus
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:22 pm »

Twisti tries to give the impression that I'm saying I went to bed leaving one final action remaining and it caused a popup, which isn't what I've said at all: - does enable him to go on quite an interesting rant complete with dodgy mathematics though.

Actually, Twisti was implying that you left something running on your office computer, since popups do no show up on inactive computers. 

Dorothy "How can you talk if you haven't any brains?"

Scarecrow "I don't know.  But some people without brains do an awful LOT of talking, don't they?"
spheric
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 08:18:35 pm »

If that were true, I'd have been flagged up as multiclienting whilst constructing in my room.
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:48 am »

It would show up if the inactive client refreshed while the popup was still unanswered, but answering the popup would be shown in the logs and you wouldn't have to fill out a popup already answered from another client; just close it and be on your way.

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
slipknot
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 08:49:32 pm »

(337-30-4) 1:29:47      spheric whittled a Grade 15 Plank (Odds: 100%) (Thirst: 100) ()     
480 xp
(337-30-4) 1:29:47    OUCH!! spheric got an Annoying Pop-Up whittling a Grade 15 Plank (Odds: 100%)    
 same problem buddy? Tongue

Twisti
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 08:58:32 pm »

It would show up if the inactive client refreshed while the popup was still unanswered

No it wouldn't.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toad Server Cage  |  General Support  |  Topic: Odd Popup
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group