TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2020, 12:23:47 pm
Home Login Register
News: Ville-Matti Honkanen dug up a Maso Bamboo Shoot

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: On Our "Beloved Emperor" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: On Our "Beloved Emperor"  (Read 17158 times)
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« on: October 25, 2007, 08:03:23 am »

Hm, an introduction of myself is necessary, as I am a fairly small player.

I joined back in March, played a couple weeks, bought a member's staff, met all the wonderful IRC people, and then quit for a while. About a week ago I decided to start becoming active again. I found myself in the B5/C6 newb world, with all my idols gone and only a few level 1-6 seeds. So I began to rebuild, and I've been working on getting enough stuff together to move out and set up on some land.

On my second day back, I rejoined our IRC (sorcery.net, #toadwater). I met some interesting new people and caught up with a few older ones. I finally got my level 5 idol back and I can now produce level 6 seeds again. All seemed to be going well.

The Incident
Today, after I got my level 5 idol, I decided to hop on IRC to chat a bit and ask a rather technical question (about partial fertilization of tree squares). I enter the #toadwater channel and notice Twisti (spelled [twistii] at the time) isn't at the top of the user list (as he normally is with his @ symbol, marking him as an admin). I then spot him near the bottom of the list, and said that I didn't see twisti's name and got worried. I then said 'I feared the death of our "beloved" emperor', joking about both the situation and twisti's apparent imperial status. After some smalltalk, our "beloved emperor" confronted me about my comment. He refused to accept being anything but beloved. I told him I did not know him, and thus I could not love him; I stated that my comment was simply a joke. Twisti would hear nothing of the sort. He demanded, multiple times and throughout our public IRC conversation, that I state my love for him, the almighty Twisti.
Of course, I refused; there is no reason for me to do such a thing, unless it is in relation to a joke. After clarifying that the entire incident was not a joke, I refused once again. He began to threaten me, citing such powers as teleportation and poisoning. Once again, I refused; Toadwater is a great game, but I will not give up my morals, my standards, my peace of mind, just so that I can satisfy this "beloved emperor"s needs in order to maintain my dwarf's health. I considered the possibilities in my mind and I decided this was the right thing to do.

Throughout our conversation, I had Toadwater open, my dwarf being moderately active. At this point, I was low on health and tasted the delicious balsam that is so central to my base. One bite. My poo bar went from a few notches out of 42 to full. I thought this was a client error and refreshed. My poo bar was still full, and I was still low in health. After inquiring on the IRC as to what could have been the problem, Crazyman told me that it sounded as if I had been poisoned. Twisti then explained he had poisoned me for refusing to follow his imperial orders, and that this (poo bar becoming full) would happen every time I ate once. Crazy then said something about nothing showing up in the Accountability logs; I made nothing of this at the time, and instead turned my attention back to my client. I relieved myself in an outhouse and took another bite. I was full again. I walked over to my balsam and sat down on it, and minimized my client.

After a bit of thought, I struck up a conversation with Twisti. I stated that I could still heal by sitting on a healing tree. He then asked me if he needed to teleport me away from my healing tree. I said one sec and began picking up what little valuables I had in my base. Our "beloved Emperor" re-issued his "order" for me to tell him I loved him. I refused, grabbed all my idols, and stated that I had grabbed my idols and was ready. After some more chatting, he eventually gave me 30 seconds, before the end of which I should either profess my love of him, or be banned from Toadwater. I rattled off some questions, trying to reason with our "beloved Emperor". My last words were something to the effect of "Wait, wait, I'm trying to say something". I was then banned from our IRC.
It is unfortunate how this happened, as I do not have the chat logs to make exact quotations; I use MIRC and the channel window closed when I was kicked.

I already had a chat window open with Crazyman, so I asked him what happened. He said he didn't know and was currently arguing with Twisti, and I began to write this post. After a while, he gave up and said he was going to bed. He also said I was unbanned from the chatroom. I decided not to rejoin, as the problem extends beyond that.

Our "Beloved Emperor"
So let's talk. Let's talk about our "beloved Emperor" Twisti.
First, who is Twisti anyway?
I look in the IRC, he has admin powers.
I look in the forums, he goes by "Emperor Twisti" and uses the Sith Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars  as his avatar. He makes rules and announcements. He talks on-level with devs. He has some history with other players, and many dislike him. He has a generally rude and condescending personality.
I look at the client. He poisoned me and threatens to teleport me. He has his own client. He admits to using macros and his own, personal client.

Putting some knowledge together, it seems that some time in the past, Twisti was elected president. After not being contested in elections, he retained presidency beyond his elected term. He declared himself Emperor and the community does not strongly oppose him in this.

Recently, Ajira got an impeachment poll created, and you can see his post here:
http://www.toadwater.com/index.php/topic,24806.0.html
Twisti's response here:
http://www.toadwater.com/index.php/topic,24809.0.html
And the actual voting thread here:
http://www.toadwater.com/index.php/topic,24805.0.html

Firstly, the vote was 56.4% to 43.6% or 31 to 24, in favor of impeachment. Apparently that's not enough, but even if it had been... that was a vote to "remove Emperor Twisti from the office of President" (see actual voting thread).

"President". Clicking that wonderful Government button at the top of this page, I clearly see that this will do nothing: there is no president.
The government has been seized by the following despots:
Emperor Twisti - Emperor
Darth Talon - Member of the Shadow Council
Ispep Teid - Member of the Shadow Council
Myrrdin Emrys - Member of the Shadow Council
Rizes Shadow - Member of the Shadow Council
Spider - Member of the Shadow Council
And you can't remove a nonexistent president.

[continues]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:47:53 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> *screams* Yay!
<[twisti]> you awe the government 12.5m gold
<Artis_Aci> What?
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

[continued]

Our "beloved Emperor" Twisti declared himself our Emperor, and, because no one properly opposed him, seems to have gotten away with it. Personally, I don't believe you get away with anything until after death, and (depending on religion) perhaps not even then.

Maybe you've noticed my frequent usage of the phrase "beloved Emperor". Originally, when I entered IRC tonight, I only put the "beloved" part in quotes, as I didn't really believe that many people loved him as an Emperor or even as a fellow human being (dwarf?), and I myself didn't love what I knew of him. This hasn't changed, except, perhaps, to become even more true. After tonight's incidents, and my succeeding analysis of Twisti and the situation, I now put both words in quotes.

He is not beloved, and he is not an Emperor. He certainly isn't my Emperor, and he should not and will not be our Emperor.

Sure, he's done some good things. In a dictatorship position such as his, anyone would do some good things. Look at Hitler: he recovered Germany's economy before World War II. Look at Stalin: he industrialized Russia, also before World War II.
But the fact is that these good things they did were not altruistic; they were specifically designed to meet the evil goals of these terrible people. Hitler used his economy to begin World War II and murder six million Jews. Stalin used his powerful position to purge his own nation of millions more, and then start the Cold War, which led to many of the hateful views towards America and western civilization in general that we experience today; the World Trade Center Explosions (including 9/11) are an effect of Stalin's "good things". So yes, of course Twisti has done some "good things".

Whenever I watch Star Wars, I get upset at the fact that the Senate does nothing to stop Palpatine from becoming Emperor. Can they not see what he's doing?

The mere fact that our "beloved Emperor" decided to use Palpatine's avatar is interesting. That, when combined with his history and attitude, is absolutely fascinating.

Can you not see what he's doing?

If you can't, I'll tell you:
Simply put, he is murdering Toadwaterians and murdering Toadwater.

If you think back to Nixon, you realize that someone with that kind of personality, that kind of ambitious drive... should never be put in a position of power, especially the presidency. Once put in this seat of power, he should have been removed from it as soon as there was a sign of corruption.

You elected Twisti to the presidency.

Okay, fine. When you think back to Hitler, you realize that someone with that kind of personality, that kind of ambitious drive... should never be put in or allowed to take a position of power, especially the dictatorship of a semi-powerful state. Once put in this seat of power, he should have been removed from it as soon as possible, especially when there are signs of corruption.

You let Twisti declare himself Emperor and decide Toadwater's fate.

Okay, fine. But you see signs of corruption. You see the power he holds, you see the way he uses it. You see the way he views it.

He should be removed from this seat of power as soon as possible.

If you want peace, prepare for war.
This part is quite important. If you read nothing else, read this to the end.

This [situation] is a recipe for disaster. If you, as a citizen of Toadwater, refuse to act, you are turning the stove on high, placing the pot full of ingredients on a burner, and are responsible when it blows up in your face. Lives are destroyed in this way. People are killed in this way.
What, you say, can we possibly do to this madman, this Stalin of Toadwater? He has a secret police of mules and officials! He has teleporting and poisoning powers! He can ban us from Toadwater! We are but mere dwarves!

Here's what we do to unseat a dictator: we destroy him. We take a knife and thrust it into his abdomen. If that doesn't work, if he somehow survives, we lace his wine with cyanide and poison him. If that doesn't work, if he somehow survives, we take a revolver and shoot him 4 or 5 times. If that doesn't work, if he somehow survives, we take a club and beat him, throw him in an icy lake, and make sure he doesn't surface with a pulse.

So let's stab him first: Twisti relies on intimidation and fear. In general, if we simply don't accept his rule, he will lose much of his power. We will elect a temporary leader, as we currently have none (his title will be something to the effect of President of the Recovery Committee). We will form a new government and draft a new set of rules and laws, taking from the experience of this great community.

Let's next lace his wine: Toadwater calls for the removal of the administrative powers of Twisti. All of his powers are to be "temporarily indefinitely suspended" until the new committee can decide what to do with him.

We will then shoot him if necessary: we will organize a global raid on Twisti. We will charge his base en masse and destroy it, the profits of which will be redistributed to the community. If he runs, we will hunt him down. We will lasso him, BV him, and do whatever else is necessary to completely fence him in.

If he still refuses to change his ways and apologize to the community, we will throw him in the icy lake and watch him drown: We will completely ban him as a human being from Toadwater, for an extended period (perhaps permanently). When and if he comes back, we will watch him, always.

I call on the entirety of Toadwater: if you want peace, prepare for war.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:53:42 pm by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:16:38 am »

Since I decided that a formal committee is a silly idea, this part is rather pointless. You can try to read it if you want, but I wouldn't suggest torturing your eyes like that.

Nominations for President of the Committee so far:
Twisti (Nominated by Myrrdin Emrys)

Notes:
 - If you nominate yourself, it will not update here.
 - If you nominate someone, you don't necessarily have to vote for them. It just gives you and everyone else the option to.
 - This leader will essentially replace Twisti as the leader of Toadwater, at least temporarily.
 - It is a temporary position.
 - The President will essentially guide the Committee in its discussions, and ensure that everything goes smoothly.
 - The Committee is designed to smoothen the transition; it will remove Twisti from power, and it will create the next permanent government.

Players that pledge their allegiance to Toadwater and its people in this thread:
Artis Aci
DMC Buruguduy

Players that pledge to Twisti in this thread (enemies of Toadwater):
*Emperor Twisti - Emperor
*Darth Talon
*Ispep Teid
*Myrrdin Emrys
*Rizes Shadow
*Spider

Note - If you pledge allegiance to Twisti and are put on this list, it doesn't mean you're a bad person. It just means you're misguided. When you realize the goodness in what we are doing, and the vices of Twisti that threaten to consume Toadwater and its community, say something to this effect (or PM me), and I'll gladly remove you from this last list.

* Any player with a star by their name is either Twisti or a member of Twisti's shadow council, and did not necessarily pledge to Twisti in this thread. See the government link at the top of this page, or click here: http://www.toadwater.com/TWeb/Gov.php

Also, though this list may seem to some to indicate otherwise, my intent is not to start a Toadwaterian Civil War. (Edit: My intent is not to start a Civil War, but the arrest and/or execution of a criminal - what we intend to do to Twisti - really isn't the same thing as a Civil War. If your neighbor is arrested for illegal drug use, you don't think that there's a war on just because of that.) I simply want to keep everyone straight in my head and anyone else's (that is, it is meant to benefit the people that can benefit from it).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:23:38 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:38 am »

Crap! I keep pressing the quote instead of the modify button, and the forum doesn't let me report my own posts as spam  Shocked
Whenever a moderator comes by this thread, please delete this (also, a sticky for the thread would be nice to get attention for this major issue).

Sorry, you don't write a post this huge and make no mistakes. (Or rather, I don't.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:46:11 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
DMC Buruguduy
Centivelian
----------

I fight for toadwater

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:28:20 am »

I think the only way to unseat twisti, like I said, is to go to Dragoon.

Stop the donations, show how unhappy the community is with Twisti and the things that he does.

I'm in and I do hope you get enough people to join you in your cause...

So when does the war begin? Tongue

You should also try to condense your posts.. Well they are a bit too long Tongue

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:30:12 am by DMC Buruguduy » Logged

(337-33-2) 2:63:27 DMC Buruguduy chopped down a Grade 100 Fence
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:30:44 am »

I think the only way to unseat twisti, like I said, is to go to Dragoon.
That is only necessary for the poison and the icy lake.
Stop the donations, show how unhappy the community is with Twisti and the things that he does.
Aye, that's a major part of the stabbing.
I'm in and I do hope you get enough people to join you in your cause...

So when does the war begin? Tongue
It begins now. Welcome to the front.

Edit - I added the nominations for the President of the Recovery Committee section on the third post. If you believe someone can lead the committee, nominate them. Once we get a few in, we will announce an ending date to the nomination entries, close nominations on that date, scheduel the election, execute the election, and then proceed with our Recovery process. Anyone who wants to be part of the recovery council may join, as long as they follow good conduct and generally adhere to the concept.

Edit 2 - Yes, the posts are long. I wanted to include as much as possible, as this is an extremely important and delicate situation.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:36:26 am by artis aci » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
DMC Buruguduy
Centivelian
----------

I fight for toadwater

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:23 am »

What matters most is to make twisti a regular player, just like everyone else. Make it a fair playing field. No powers. He abuses his position way too much

Lemonade
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:53 am »

You just should have bown down for our mighty emperor. There is nothing you can do about his eternal glory and power.
* Hubert! bows and kisses twistis feet
Benalron
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:08:18 am »

What matters most is to make twisti a regular player, just like everyone else. Make it a fair playing field. No powers. He abuses his position way too much

I disagree with you about "way too much", and I disagree with the regular player remark... but I do think the government should be modified to make abuse not easily possible. Now, as for the conversation in IRC I will post the conversation from today so others can see what was said.

[23:44] <[twisti]> ok artis
[23:44] <[twisti]> im bored with your crap
[23:44] <[twisti]> either you say it
[23:44] <[twisti]> or you are getting banned
[23:44] <[twisti]> now.
[23:44] <artis> =/
[23:44] <Crazyman> ...
[23:44] <[twisti]> just say it
[23:45] <[twisti]> "i love emperor twisti"
[23:45] <Crazyman> What did artis even do?
[23:45] <[twisti]> its simple
[23:45] <[twisti]> it wont hurt
[23:45] <artis> I said "beloved" emperor... and he got all pissed
[23:45] <artis> twisti...
[23:45] <artis> Are you on drugs?
[23:45] <Crazyman> Oh
[23:45] <[twisti]> because of the quotes!
[23:45] <Crazyman> beloved in quotes
[23:45] <[twisti]> im not
[23:45] <Crazyman> Thats how id do it
[23:45] <artis> It's okay if you are... I'd just like to know if this is your normal behavior.
[23:45] <[twisti]> im telling you what to do
[23:45] <[twisti]> im the emperor
[23:45] <[twisti]> you follow my commands
[23:45] <[twisti]> or you get banned
[23:45] <[twisti]> simple as that
[23:45] <[twisti]> time to make the choice is now
[23:45] <[twisti]> 30 seconds

Cutting out some due to the extreme length of this pointless conversation.

[23:47] <Artis_Aci> First of all... I don't know you. Secondly... I don't love what I do know of you so far.
[23:47] <[twisti]> i dont care
[23:47] <[twisti]> 20 secs left
[23:47] <Artis_Aci> Wait wait
[23:47] <[twisti]> 10 secs
[23:47] <Artis_Aci> There's no reason to ban me
[23:47] <[twisti]> bye
[23:47] <Artis_Aci> just cause I don't say
[23:47] <Artis_Aci> Wait!
[23:47] * [twisti] sets mode: +b *!*@1419a6d7.2f73fd0.net.hmsk
[23:47] * Artis_Aci was kicked by [twisti] (Artis_Aci)

Clearly [Twisti] was being a douche bag. Probably drunk again or something. An easy solution? don't do shit like that [Twisti]. A less easy solution? Reform.

As for you Artis_Aci. Principal arguments are stupid. You could have saved the whole problem from arising by appeasing his claim. Since you personally are a rather stubborn person, think of it this way: If someone asks you to do something like that they probably have some sort of emotional or social problem that makes them demand power. Give them what they want if it doesn't hurt you, and sit there knowing you made someone weaker than you happy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:18:49 am by Benalron » Logged

(337-04-7) 6:23:51      Benalron failed to weave a pair of Middling Milking Gloves (Odds: 99.9%)

(336-28-3) 7:89:10 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:89:05 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:88:99 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed bag (Odds: 6.7%
DMC Buruguduy
Centivelian
----------

I fight for toadwater

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:20:48 am »

As for you Artis_Aci. Principal arguments are stupid. You could have saved the whole problem from arising by appeasing his claim. Since you personally are a rather stubborn person, think of it this way: If someone asks you to do something like that they probably have some sort of emotional or social problem that makes them demand power. Give them what they want if it doesn't hurt you, and sit there knowing you made someone weaker than you happy.

You probably grew up being bullied huh?  :Smiley

Rizes Shadow
Best Accent Ever
Centivelian
----------

Ex-Toadwater representative

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:40:49 am »

How bored do you have to be to write something as stupid as this thread?

<farmout> <Rize> make a guess retard.
<farmout> yea i am

<Crazyman> I never knew worth was calculated by rank
 <[twisti]> what else did you think it was calculated by?
<Crazyman> XP

<farmboy> no im not good at spekking
<farmboy> spelling

http://www.bash.org/?715722
Lemonade
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:14 pm »

Don't put me on twisti's side, because i'm not. I just accept that twisti rules everybody. Simple as that. You can be for him or against him, but it doesn't matter, because he decides what happens no matter what.
Rizes Shadow
Best Accent Ever
Centivelian
----------

Ex-Toadwater representative

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 03:07:14 pm »

I'm on twistis side, because he is the best thing that has happened to Toadwater in a long time.

But still, lke Hubert said, this thread is meaningless. You can have your opinions, but nothing you do will change the current situation.

<farmout> <Rize> make a guess retard.
<farmout> yea i am

<Crazyman> I never knew worth was calculated by rank
 <[twisti]> what else did you think it was calculated by?
<Crazyman> XP

<farmboy> no im not good at spekking
<farmboy> spelling

http://www.bash.org/?715722
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 03:29:32 pm »

- The Committee is designed to smoothen the transition; it will remove Twisti from power, and it will create the next permanent government.
As I have told others revolutionaries who think they have such grand ideas about changing the world: put up or shut up.

Toadwaterians might not consider Emperor Twisti beloved (though they would be foolish to admit it) but they are afraid of the unknown more than anything. Unless you can describe how much better the "next permanent government" will be, few are going to seriously support your efforts. And saying, ad nauseum, something like "the next government will be better because Emperor Twisti will not be a part of it" smacks of "you should elect Kerry president because at least he is not Bush" and we all know how well that campaign went.

So stop slinging mud. Stop trying to start a negative campaign. That is the challenge -- a challenge so far that Obi-Wan Kenobi, DMC Buruguduy, and other wannabe revolutionary leaders have decided not to rise to. Presumably because it would require a helluva lot of effort. Effort that no Toadwaterian has been willing to dedicate to the government. No Toadwaterian save one: Emperor Twisti.

Or you can ignore this truth. You could try to find a few dedicated folks and hope that they have the staying power to decide everything by committee. And in a few years we might finally get to see this wonderful next government.

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Twisti
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 04:00:17 pm »

So many posts about me. It's good to be the center of attention.
Twisti
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 04:10:42 pm »

I'd also like to nominate myself for the new President position. You can never hold too many titles. If you truly are trying to build a new, fair system (which I won't allow, by the way), you can't exclude me from putting my name out to vote.
Benalron
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 05:27:47 pm »

You probably grew up being bullied huh?  :Smiley

Nope.

(337-04-7) 6:23:51      Benalron failed to weave a pair of Middling Milking Gloves (Odds: 99.9%)

(336-28-3) 7:89:10 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:89:05 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed Bag (Odds: 6.7%)
(336-28-3) 7:88:99 Benalron wove an Imperial Seed bag (Odds: 6.7%
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: On Our "Beloved Emperor"
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group