TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2019, 02:34:46 pm
Home Login Register
News: Jinjur finished fertilizing a field for Mopsi

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Mule Limits 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mule Limits  (Read 2364 times)
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« on: November 24, 2007, 02:36:29 am »

I've been inactive for a bit as I've been busy in real life. I'm planning to return to TW full-force in a few weeks, and I'd like to get some testing done for the macro program I'm building. I'd also like to clear up a few questions I have about the specifics of my plans.

I need to know how many mules I can have. I looked it up in the Terms of Service in the wiki, and this seems to be the relevant portion:
Quote from: Terms of Service (wikified)
Multi-client use

Multi-client use is defined as using more than one (1) Toadwater Client (TWC) or Computers to consecutively play on one character; playing more than three different characters using three different clients/computers; or using a custom program or complication to simulate multiple Toadwater Instances or by sending information to the Toadwater server.

Multi-client use will be enforced in a variety of ways, usually with a ban on the offending account, or all active IP addresses associated with the account. Severity of the punishment will be determined at the discretion of the Toadwater Development Group.
I think I'm missing something, and I'd like some clarification.
The phrase "playing more than three different characters using three different clients/computers" is generally what I'll be discussing.

Directly interpreted, this means that a player cannot use 3 different clients/computers to play more than three different characters.
It does not say:
1) that a player cannot use more than 3 different clients/computers to play more than three different characters (e.g. using 4 clients to play 4 characters) or
2) that a player cannot 'own' more than 3 different characters.

I once asked in IRC how many mules I could have, and I believe someone told me I was limited to 3. I cannot find any evidence on the website for this, so my questions are:
1) How many characters am I allowed to play at once?
2) If I am limited in (1), how many characters am I allowed to have (i.e. if there is a limit to how many characters I can play at once, then can I have more characters than I am allowed to play, if I don't play them all at once)?
3) If I am limited in (1) and the limit in (2) is greater than that in (1) (i.e., if I can have more characters than I can play at once), what constitutes "playing at once"? For example, if the limit to (1) is 3 and the limit to (2) is 6 and I just stopped playing 3 characters by closing the clients, do I have to wait before I log in on the other 3?

PS:
I just gave myself a headache rereading the post to check for errors, so I'm sorry if there are errors or if it gives anyone else any pain.

EDIT - Craps, I just found this:
http://www.toadwater.com/index.php/topic,13841.0.html
The 2004 TOS (last updated March 2007) which states:
Multi-client use
- Multi-client use is defined as using more than one (1) Toadwater Client (TWC) or Computers to consecutively play on one character; playing more than three different characters using any number of  different or similar clients/computers; or using a custom program or complication to simulate multiple Toadwater Instances. Additionally, any unauthorized sending information to the Toadwater server may be considered a violation of this rule.

Questions (2) and (3) still remain, however.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 02:48:50 am by Artis Aci [Inactive] » Logged

<Artis_Aci> *screams* Yay!
<[twisti]> you awe the government 12.5m gold
<Artis_Aci> What?
Dragoon
Centivelian
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:14 am »

1. You are allowed to play three characters at once.
2. There is no limit on the amount of characters you are allowed to have.
3. Having three clients open (or sending requests via alternate means simulating three client connections) on three different characters counts as 'playing on that character'. You do not have to wait before playing any other accounts, you simply cannot be sending actions on more than three characters at once within say, a flexible grace period.  For all extensive purposes, if you have four accunts, and the last client is switching between two accounts (back and forth rapidly), this would count as playing four accounts. However, switching from one account to another and still maintaining only three 'clients' is only playing three characters.
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:33:43 am »

1. You are allowed to play three characters at once.
2. There is no limit on the amount of characters you are allowed to have.
3. Having three clients open (or sending requests via alternate means simulating three client connections) on three different characters counts as 'playing on that character'. You do not have to wait before playing any other accounts, you simply cannot be sending actions on more than three characters at once within say, a flexible grace period.  For all extensive purposes, if you have four accunts, and the last client is switching between two accounts (back and forth rapidly), this would count as playing four accounts. However, switching from one account to another and still maintaining only three 'clients' is only playing three characters.

Thanks. I don't think it will really matter to me, but when you say "flexible grace period" and "rapidly", what exactly do you mean? If I press ctrl-l, select one character from the dropdown, press enter, press p, then repeat this for the other character... does that count as playing 1 character at once or 2 characters at once?

Edit: It seems rather single-threaded, so that wouldn't really be multiclienting, would it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:49:13 am by Artis Aci [Inactive] » Logged

<Artis_Aci> What?
Gnilehdnam Artamus
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:03:33 am »

Thanks. I don't think it will really matter to me, but when you say "flexible grace period" and "rapidly", what exactly do you mean? If I press ctrl-l, select one character from the dropdown, press enter, press p, then repeat this for the other character... does that count as playing 1 character at once or 2 characters at once?

Edit: It seems rather single-threaded, so that wouldn't really be multiclienting, would it?

As Matthias said
For all extensive purposes, if you have four accunts, and the last client is switching between two accounts (back and forth rapidly), this would count as playing four accounts.
that would indeed be considered multiclienting.  If you are playing three characters, you can switch one and continue playing 3 characters.  However, it you rapidly alternate back and forth between that third and fourth character, then you are playing 4 characters at one time.

Dorothy "How can you talk if you haven't any brains?"

Scarecrow "I don't know.  But some people without brains do an awful LOT of talking, don't they?"
Agent Smith
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:49:51 am »

As Matthias said  that would indeed be considered multiclienting.  If you are playing three characters, you can switch one and continue playing 3 characters.  However, it you rapidly alternate back and forth between that third and fourth character, then you are playing 4 characters at one time.

Thanks for your reply. I hate to drag it on like this, but:

"Rapidly alternate back and forth".... if switching after whittling one plank like that is too rapid... then where is the line between being too rapid and not being too rapid? Spend 20 seconds on one, switch to the other, spend 20 seconds on it.... repeat? Is that too rapid? Should it be 40 seconds? 60 seconds? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Half an hour?

If it's that you're afraid I'll press p on one, switch to the other and before the other one is finished whittling, press p on it and thus acquire a time advantage by not waiting on the first, then don't worry, because pressing ctrl-l to login on the other one adds a lil red task thing to the action queue and doesn't even TRY to login until the last action is complete (thus it would wait for the plank to be whittled, then log in on the other, press p, wait for it to whittle, etc.). It would in fact be slower and less efficient to whittle in this way, not rapid at all (for every plank there would be 2 actions queued instead of 1). As I said, quite single-threaded.

<Artis_Aci> What?
prask
Centivelian
----------

I'm a more of an oblate spheroid.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:55:43 am »

Shut up and go play the game so that someone can raid you and you will quit.

Its official. Cheesy

Prask's ideas are good, and make sense.

prask knows what he's talking about.
[FFFUUUU]MidnightWolf
Centivelian
----------

~Richard Biffle

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:41 am »

You know, for once I'm agreeing with prask. Why does it matter? What do you think to accomplish? Are you really going to be playing that many characters at one time, or are you just trying to nit-pick at the rules? The Matt's said a reasonable amount of time. From my experience, that mean whatever they want it to. If they think you're cheating, they'll warn you, or ban you, or whatever they choose. So why push it? Just stick with three characters, and be happy with that. Sheesh.

A short little chap, bouncy in stride
Harvests the crops he grows with pride.
Berries ripen, plump figs dangle
Around the nettles green herbs tangle.
The tiny gardener while chewing on rye
Winks to a field mouse as he passes on by...
~Jacob King
Twisti
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »

If you log into a different character with actions queued up, these will be executed on the new character, even if they were given to the old on. Also, there would be absolutely no different between having each character whittle one plank and changing, or having each character whittle 1000 planks and then changing, so there is literally no point to your question.
prask
Centivelian
----------

I'm a more of an oblate spheroid.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 09:00:35 pm »

Actually, I was a little conflicted about my previous post.  I am for almost anything that will make the boards more lively.  However, when this thread started me contemplating mixing drain cleaner with the leftover turkey and gravy...

<sigh>  Yes, I need therapy, but sometime I miss Silver Light and, oh what's his name?  Our old Trotskyite traveling companion?  At least they were entertaining.

Its official. Cheesy

Prask's ideas are good, and make sense.

prask knows what he's talking about.
sleeper
Centivelian
----------

ZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzZ

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 09:37:18 pm »

f**st? Grin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:47:53 pm by Matt Siegman » Logged
Matt Siegman
über programmer
Apprentice
----------

C++ ftw!

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »

I fixed your post to follow common decency rules :-P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:49:47 pm by Matt Siegman » Logged

sleeper
Centivelian
----------

ZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzZ

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:54:30 pm »

sorry, I thought it was long enough ago for the wounds to have healed... Tongue
Lemonade
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 07:14:18 pm »

Matt will never get over "it"
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Mule Limits
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group