TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-(
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 14, 2022, 02:51:14 am
Home Login Register
News: Halcyon found a Ring Worm Plant Herb while doing some Alchemy

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Rule against sharing tree images? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rule against sharing tree images?  (Read 1588 times)
Bryan
Centivelian
----------

« on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »

Is there a rule against sharing tree images? If so, can someone please point out to me where I can read it?

[23:29] <[rebel]Epik> http://www.toadwater.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22454
[23:30] <[rebel]Epik> We have competition
[23:31] <@Jessy> thats not competition thats lunch.
DT ight
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »

I do not think there is a rule about sharing them with people, you are just not supposed to post them on the forums. At least that was how it used to be.
Bryan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:02 pm »

Would posting a link to a place where you can download them all be ok, or is that not allowed?

[23:29] <[rebel]Epik> http://www.toadwater.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22454
[23:30] <[rebel]Epik> We have competition
[23:31] <@Jessy> thats not competition thats lunch.
LumberJane
Centivelian
----------

I love trees!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:56 pm »

I do not think there is a rule about sharing them with people, you are just not supposed to post them on the forums. At least that was how it used to be.

I was never aware of that rule.. I always post the new tree images with numbers on them for people who like the level of the tree visible. They're in the tw images thread in the cell board.

LumberJane- Female lumberjack
[16:36:33] <Dragoon> Well, I was emotionally distraught when I was rejected by LumberJane
Banner by Treewalker Smiley
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:54:59 pm »

There is a balance to be struck: We should avoid spoiling the sense of discovery/accomplishment for new players but folks like LumberJane are providing a nice service with slightly altered images for players who like to see tree level at a glance.

I err on the side of caution when deciding whether to put images in the wiki but other toadwikipedians have chosen to publish tree images, but not statue images, in it. The reasoning for toadwiki to be different than, say, wowwiki is that a TW statue is not like a wow sword since I do not carry a statue around to show other players how leet I am (and the admins do not want the statue images published, heh). Sure publishing statue images might save a bit of gold/time for the more artistically-inclined players who want to create a giant portrait of our handsome hobbit Viceroy with statues but...

Most long time players have struggled with explaining what TW "is" to friends and family, either in an attempt to turn them to the dark side or just to justify the time we wastededicate to watching virtual grass grow. But I am pretty sure that if a new player needs lots of eye candy to keep him interested, TW is probably not for him.

That said, I am all for a spoilery site. That way a player could choose to go to toadwiki for mostly spoiler-free info or to an external site with spoilers on it. There have been attempts at this for years but I have no clue how much permission the attempters received from the admins.

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Twisti
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:57:40 pm »

NOT A GODDAMN HOBBIT!
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:27 am »

lol  Grin

I figure that if a tree is new enough that people still want to buy a seed or two (as opposed to buying many) to start growing that level, then it's probably too soon to have a publicly available image.

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Rule against sharing tree images?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group