TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 12:10:19 am
Home Login Register
News: Mopsi whittled a Grade 34 Plank   (Odds: 100%)  (Thirst: 28.00)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Continent "Ownership" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Do you feel *you* should be able to completely fence off a continent?
Yes   -20 (66.7%)
No   -10 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Continent "Ownership"  (Read 6977 times)
Yancy
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 04:52:17 am »

I had maybe a week where I had to ask around for land, and enough land in the interim to keep me busy. I do not think I apply.

If you give a mouse a cookie....

Yancy finished breaking & scutching a field of Retted Hemp (Crop Yield: 11454 Raw Fibers, 2727 Seeds)
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:52 am »

Edit: As soon as I started asking I had generous offers.

This, I believe to be a problem.  Many newer players are hesitant to interact right away.  There should be some land where a new player can take hold up and establish themselves before real interaction needs to happen.

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
Old Flinnt
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 05:33:47 am »

Prior to his going inactive though Yancy had an entire continent. There are ups and downs in land ownership for most people I think, especially off and on players (which this game has boat loads of).
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 07:11:02 am »

There should be some land where a new player can take hold up and establish themselves before real interaction needs to happen.
With all due respect, it is called noob world.

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:11 am »

Noob worlds are not safe.  There is only so much you can do with 20 invintory slots.  Not to mention, a large portion of the satisfaction with this game is establishing a base, however small.

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 01:22:44 pm »

If you want a player to be able to play solo, jump from CW, and immediately have access to land for a starter base, that is not realistic. A player should spend weeks to months in CW then weeks to months in noob world or how else are they going to learn the game and the importance of protecting their stuff? Making TW easy by spoonfeeding land to everyone who jumps is setting them up for disappointment. Think of the drastic jump in time commitment a base requires -- remember in your hypothetical they only have low level fencing, little gold for frequent fence refreshing, and a staff that is wearing down quickly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:26:07 pm by Viceroy clatra » Logged

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Yancy
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:24 pm »

Prior to his going inactive though Yancy had an entire continent. There are ups and downs in land ownership for most people I think, especially off and on players (which this game has boat loads of).

This is also not true.  I shared a continent with several (8 i believe) other players. I just maintained the borders.

Yancy finished breaking & scutching a field of Retted Hemp (Crop Yield: 11454 Raw Fibers, 2727 Seeds)
arp
Centivelian
----------

10:30:53 pm [rebel]arp found 5 Gold Radishes!

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 02:37:19 pm »

Land isn't so terribly hard to find that people quit over it, but active players are very selective in who they want to help.  For instance, I have housed five players between last summer and now.  Four of the players I decided to help currently have gold subscriptions, and the fifth has a bronze subscription.  I think older players have land, they just dont want it to go to someone who would quit within a few months anyways.

I own no continents.
10:24:01 pm arp washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0.01%)
Old Flinnt
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

This is also not true.  I shared a continent with several (8 i believe) other players. I just maintained the borders.

I didn't mean an entire continent, I didnt choose my words carefully enough. You had MOST of the continent though. A much larger portion than any others had. I was one of the people that was inside of there.
Yancy
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »

I remember that, but Whittler had more land than I did (thanks to me giving them a bunch).

Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:24 pm »

I personally like the rules set up in the new worlds.  As fences fall in the old worlds, I belive that the new world rules should take the place of  grandfathered rules.

Above all. . .Semper Fi
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

I believe that on the older lands, such power shouldn't be just a dream. However, should we expand the lands of TW, the new lands shouldn't be under the same rules, for the pure sake of letting more people actually get their foot in. Like newer lands are almost training grounds, while the older lands are more of battlegrounds.

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
lilojo
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »

I think the prevailing opinion is, if you change the rules, only do it in new or abandoned lands, don't chop up the established and maintained bases.
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:27 pm »

As has been said over and over, nobody is going to chop up existing bases. If, however, fences fall and a continent becomes open - why not keep it that way ?

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
arp
Centivelian
----------

10:30:53 pm [rebel]arp found 5 Gold Radishes!

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »

Because the game is supported mainly through the donations of the populace, and the poll currently shows that a high percentage of players feel they should be able to fence off an entire conintent if they so desire.

I own no continents.
10:24:01 pm arp washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0.01%)
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:44 pm »

As I said before, this poll is like asking someone if they want to pay taxes. Of course everyone is going to answer "No" until they think about it. I'd bet you that if I were to make a more balanced and unbiased poll, the results would look very different.

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
jutekillerkeith
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:16 pm »

As I said before, this poll is like asking someone if they want to pay taxes. Of course everyone is going to answer "No" until they think about it. I'd bet you that if I were to make a more balanced and unbiased poll, the results would look very different.

um... the majority is voting "Yes"  Huh

Edit: Oh wait, I get it now. I always thought we shouldn't be able to fence entire continents, so it confused me
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:40:30 pm by Keithy » Logged

But who knows really? The problem with forums/discussions like this is everyone thinks they know all the answers, everyone loves to propose solutions or debate their overall worthiness. But in reality, not much actually happens with all that talk and debate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Continent "Ownership"
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group