TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 04:06:21 pm
Home Login Register
News: Fannie Fufu chopped down a Basswood tree for Kelkar, getting 265 pieces of wood and 976 Seeds (Max Yield: 97.44%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Drought 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Drought  (Read 8564 times)
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:14 pm »

Is this Drought some sort of special temporary event?  What is the purpose of halving forestry odds?

Zeb
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »

I just noticed that I also have the same odds with EBP as with normal fert.  EBP used to be three times your odds now they are only double?

Zeb
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:24 pm »

My last comment is this...This drought seems to be preventing me from playing.  All i do in this game is plant trees and chop them down and now I can't do that (with the tree of my choice).  How long will this last?  Should I cancel my subscription until it is over ?

Thanks,
Zeb
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »

What is the purpose of halving forestry odds?
An unintended consequence is making the tedious early levels even harder for noobs.
 Undecided

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:28 pm »

An unintended consequence is making the tedious early levels even harder for noobs.
 Undecided

This only affects people with a certain amount of exp and up.
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »

My questions still stand...what is the purpose of this event?  Will it last long?  Is EBP broken (It doesn't give correct odds it should be 3 times your odds even with the drought but it is only double just like normal fert)

Zeb
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm »

Well, I will put my money where my mouth is.  I am cancelling my subscription at the end of the day unless there is a change to this or at least adequate explanation.

Angry,
Zeb
Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:25 pm »

My questions still stand...what is the purpose of this event?  Will it last long?  Is EBP broken (It doesn't give correct odds it should be 3 times your odds even with the drought but it is only double just like normal fert)

Zeb

The EBP is not broken.  It is working properly during the drought. 

The point of the drought is a special event that is going to require the community to work together to fix it.  Right now this is the first wave and won't last very long.
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 03:12:27 pm »

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you ? Waa, waa, there's a change I don't understand right away, I'm cancelling my sub! Travis should just stop adding content for some of you ungrateful children.

I mean seriously, canceling your sub over a few hours of changed planting odds ? What kind of massive, idiotic overreaction is that ? You should be grateful and excited that Travis is spending time and energy after his school days to give you new and mysterious content to figure out instead of treating every little minor change as something to be answered with threats of extortion.

So what if he doesn't release every detail of coming events ? Do you really want to play a game with no new additions, no changes and nothing new to figure out forever ?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you have a subscription and help TW, but you should seriously take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really want TW to be the kind of game where every other player has a psychotic break like a nervous housewife every time the slightest change is made that might even mildly inconvenience them and hold their subscriptions over Travis' head with the mighty threat of canceling unless he follows their demands.

Ask yourself if you would ever react this childish in real life. When you go to your gym, and some of the machines are covered with plastic planes with workers working on them, and the manager telling you that exciting new changes are coming to the gym, do you start yelling at them REMOVE THE PLASTIC SHEETS! I ONLY COME HERE TO USE THIS MACHINE! IF YOU DON'T REMOVE THE PLASTIC SHEETS WITHIN 15 MINUTES I'M CANCELING MY SUB! ?

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 03:36:22 pm »

I don't need all the details of the event, I just need enough explanation to make me feel like there was some thought put into the change.

Let's take this in perspective for why I want more explanation.  Every day I chop down about 600 trees.  Every day, I plant about 600 trees.  For every day that this event goes on I either have to spend a lot more time filling in the holes in my planting or I can wait until it is over and then plant to catch up.  Let's assume for a moment that, like most toadawater events, it takes a while to unfold. Let's guess at least two weeks to have any impact at all.  If the event only lasts two weeks and I choose to wait until it is over to replant then i'm 8400 trees behind schedule and my treelord is in danger because i can't replant the trees i chop down successfully.

My other option is to stop chopping altogether and just not play until it is over...in which case why do I need a subscription.  I would feel cheated out of my play time.

Let's look at it another way.  Let's assume you play another online game like world of warcraft, and you only solo adventure. That is your play style. Let's assume the dev's have this great idea to make it so that for a limited super cool and awesome event, no one can solo anymore well, you can but you have to spend 5 times the normal amount of time for the same gain...it is really super cool and awesome fun!

If there is more to the event than crippling my play style, then I want reassurance, otherwise, I'm angry.  I hope you can better understand why.

I am not opposed to game changes, I just want explanation so that I can plan appropriately.

Let me give you one more illustration.  Imagine that you had a subscription to a movie theater where you could watch as many movies as you wanted every month.  Every day you go and watch some horror movie...then one day, the movie theater owners have this great idea to make an event for all their loyal customers with subscriptions ...for a limited time, they are not allowed to watch horror movies with their subscription.  Imagine how much fun it will be for those loyal customers who only watch horror movies during this super awesome and fun event.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:44:39 pm by Zebulas » Logged
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:40 pm »

How were we supposed to know this wouldn't last until the next storm in Paris, which could be weeks away? How are we supposed to know this would not effect the next edict so what is the point of voting for forestry?

Nice customer relations. I hope lots of new players read it.
 :Smiley

Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »

You could just use common sense, and assume we do too.

That goes for you too, Zebulas. Do you really think the entirety of the event consists of making you plant trees worse, and that's it ? I know I have been known to be overexcited over things, but even I wouldn't call that an exciting event.

Now, I'm not going to detail what the event curtails, and hopefully, neither will Travis. Half of the fun of new things is figuring them out yourself in time. Think of this more like you think of Half-Life or Doom when the light suddenly turns out. Sure, it's hard to see, but obviously the light isn't going to stay off for the rest of the game, and it's not like you're going to say "this sucks, I'm going back to level 1 and play it over and over again until someone fixed the light in level 2. Plus, I'm not paying you until you increase the light to maximum in every level".

And clatra, you know very well that I wasn't hired to do PR work. TW isn't a game for the faint hearted and never was. I'm sure if someone can stand the endless repetition of Toadwater, finding no free land without having to ask for handouts and keeps playing through being raided, they aren't going to be thrown off by grumpy old Twisti. And I doubt you will find someone who can voice any complaints about me doing my administrative duties (other than Starsmile).

Yancy
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »

One would think a drought would effect farming as well...

If you give a mouse a cookie....

Yancy finished breaking & scutching a field of Retted Hemp (Crop Yield: 11454 Raw Fibers, 2727 Seeds)
David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

That goes for you too, Zebulas. Do you really think the entirety of the event consists of making you plant trees worse, and that's it ? I know I have been known to be overexcited over things, but even I wouldn't call that an exciting event.

No, I don't but I believe you see what is missing as far as information to the players in order to make it fun. 

One other thought, from those of us that like the endless and open ended repetitive nature of toadwater...perhaps the players that like that sort of play style also don't like when that play style is interrupted.  Just a thought.

I don't know what you have planned but just from a game design perspective here is a flow that is better for players.

Introduce bad guy...wait.
bad guy causes bad event...wait.
people hate bad guy for causing bad event...wait.
people find way to fight back against bad guy...wait.
people win.  Good game.

the bad guy doesn't have to be a character at all but I think you can follow the flow there.  We don't have a lot of tools for discovering for ourselves cool things you have planned for us unless you give us those tools.

Am I going to get some new information about the drought by whittling planks?  Am I going to discover how I can irrigate my fields if i just dig long enough with my level 300+ shovel?

Zeb
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:25:04 pm by Zebulas » Logged
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »

Think of it as a mystery novel - in the beginning, you don't know anything other that something weird happened. As time goes on, you slowly start to piece it together. You're on page one, demanding that we tell you how it ends.

And nobody likes interruptions to their routine at first, doesn't mean nothing should ever be changed that could possibly interrupt the routine. I'm taking you to go swimming with the dolphins, even though you'd rather stay home and watch your favourite TV show. Let TiVo catch it, try something new.

clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:13 pm »

* clatra does a raindance.
* clatra waits to see if event is RP-based...

Deadly Sane
Public Relations
----------

DAAAAH!!

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 05:12:12 pm »

*Starsmile joins in on the raindance*

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

<@Travis> I know it's hard to belive, but I've taken a ton of english classes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Drought
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group