TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 08:19:40 pm
Home Login Register
News: Dieck chopped down a Western Hemlock tree for Purple Haze, getting 24 pieces of wood and 2 Seeds (Max Yield: 0.1%) (Starting Odds: 149.68%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Tutorial messages revamped 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tutorial messages revamped  (Read 2757 times)
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:36 am »

We are currently in the process of making the gameplay experience for new player more streamlined, and one aspect are tutorial messages. Our new system supports ALL conditionals you can think of - based on items in the inventory, player stats, even seeing other people. What do you think should cause tutorial "popup" messages ? What do you think those messages should be ?

Free Lodestones to the most awesome contributors!

Examples:

Plant your first tree
Take your first step
Reach your first "next level" (I think that's 12 right now)
Whittle your first item
Whittle your first idol
Die for the first time

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
jutekillerkeith
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:54:19 am »

Exploding an outhouse.

Also I think there should be one when you begin that explaining the inventory and how to walk, when I first started I ended up digging holes all around me before I figured out how to plant trees, so I didn't even play anymore until almost a year later.  EDIT: and that was when you started with 1 health, so I couldn't walk away from the holes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:57:15 am by Keithy » Logged

But who knows really? The problem with forums/discussions like this is everyone thinks they know all the answers, everyone loves to propose solutions or debate their overall worthiness. But in reality, not much actually happens with all that talk and debate.
Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:03:20 am »

I think it is important that for the first whittle of the important whittling items, it pops up telling what each one is used for.  Such as planks are needed for roads and construction, taps are used to gather sap, etc.  Also when you first dig it should give you a warning like what Keith said, but explain that you can find compost worms which are used to fertilize land.  When they first fertilize, have a message explaining the bonus on planting trees in the ground and basic farming.

Whittle your first tap.
Make your first plank.
Make your first fence.
Dig for your first worm.
Fertilize some land.

If I somehow get a free Lodestone, I would like it to be a Black one and let Starsmile enjoy it.
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:47 am »

A pop-up should occur on the first action that would otherwise cause death.
It should explain why that action should not be taken and how to regain health.

On the flip side, I believe that when one dies for the first time, a pop-up should explain how to get back to where that dwarf died.

Also, a "your ready to start advanced skills" should occur when their older brother skill reaches a certain level.

Example, when farming reaches 250 a pop-up should explain how to lay hemp fields and what to do from there.

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
Doctor Horrible
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:19:27 am »

To expound on Mayer. I'm pretty sure the death cant be prevented but at the very least when a player reaches 1 hp for the first time (Since odds are they are in cloud world and HOPEFULLY they aren't stepping on a balsam they have at least one more action before death at that point.

The first time a player whittles a birdhouse it can point to the fact that there are bird trees and possibly give you an expected level of trees where bird trees start.

First use your member stave. Giving you a small summary of its perks. Or when you first walk at 5.0 or less with a TW staff alerting you to the presence of a member staff and especially of its slowed degradation rate.

Hire your first worker alerting you to when they will leave you(no tasks for x time).

David B. Adams
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:04:44 pm »

when they first build a road there should be a popup explaining what a road is for as well as the 2 ways to remove it.

There should be an early popup to help the user understand basic selection in the inventory, it is not obvious to new players how to "unselect" an item, they most often end up moving things around and getting a bit confused.

There should be a popup that explains refresh to update the screen view, perhaps while growing their first trees, then a refresher message could be given later explaining screen refresh when they encounter their first player.  Most new players expect the other players to animate across their screen and that is not how it works at all.

When the player encounters a full grown crop (crops that grow with nothing inside them should probably be fixed for radishes at least) they should get a message that tells them how to harvest.  I've found that this is not obvious to my class of players every fall.

When the poo meter is full for the first (and second time) they should get a popup to tell them how to empty it.

When they move for the first time they should get a message that tells them how to eat on a tree to heal and that the older the tree is the more they will heal but that they can even eat on a a growing tree.

When they step on a tree higher than level 1 for the first couple times they should get a warning for how it takes more health and more time to walk on higher level trees. 

When they chop their first tree they should get a message about selecting the wood and trying to whittle something. 

When they whittle their first item they should get a message indicating the skill going up and something about practice makes perfect but also the fact that once they have whittled something at one level they are now able to *TRY* the next level.

When they fail at whittling for the first time you should let them know that their is a timer based on the level of the item that they tried to whittle before they are allowed to try again.

When they build their first plank you should give them a popup explaining that they can use it to build outhouses, fences or in the case in which they would want to pass through a fence they have built, a gate using 2 planks.  I would not explain road at this point but rather save that for later.

When they build their first idol i would explain how to place it on a tree and feed it seeds in order to get the next rank tree seeds.

...more as i think of them

Zeb
[rebel]Demonoid
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »

-  When you run out of seeds for the first time, you should get a pop-up explaining how to dig for more.
-  You should get pop-ups giving an order to whittle your first items with a brief explanation of each, with planks being last and leading to the explanation of construction in the same manner.
-  There should be quite a few actions that point you to the appropriate wiki page for the first time (If hyperlinks in pop-ups are possible)

--  First time you pick a radish crop
--  First time you whittle a birdhouse
Probably others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Just as a kind of side thought, I think these pop-ups should be coming from another (Possibly mother) dwarf.  No fancy graphics, or icons, just in a storytelling kind of way.  (i.e. - "Congratulations, dear.  I knew you could make your mother a new outhouse.  Now why don't you dig a hole at least 100cm deep so we can us it."
Abyss Rose
Centivelian
----------

No Comment

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »

Perhaps a popup that explains tree age, and healing. IE how much life you gain per the age of the tree.

Why I'm on that topic a popup that explains moving over differing terrain takes differing amounts of life.

I'm not saying you should tell them the exact numbers just a popup that says.
"Careful why exploring walking over higher level trees takes more life then Lower level trees."

Otherwise they might get a nasty surprise.

Also before they start moving a popup should warn them about staff decay on movement. maybe a promo plug for a members staff as well.

// after reading zeb's wall of text I see that are ideas are fairly the same lol.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:19:10 pm by Abyss Rose » Logged
imbrium99
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:49 pm »

Perhaps the very first tutorial could be an explanation of what tutorial messages do, plus the option to opt out of tutorials, if that is what the player prefers.

The recent post about letters and numbers asked in captchas would be a good tutorial message.
Magmalious
Centivelian
----------

Yarrrrr

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Can the right click on an item for information popup be made available in cloudworld?  That might help a great deal.  I know it works in DT at the moment on some things.

Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:10:06 pm »

Not entirely sure what you mean.

Magmalious
Centivelian
----------

Yarrrrr

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »

In DT when you right click on your staff, you get an information popup.  Thought that other items had it as well, but not sure.

The Identify feature.  The rest of the items just say that there is no specific info. 

arp
Centivelian
----------

10:30:53 pm [rebel]arp found 5 Gold Radishes!

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:17 pm »

I think maybe they should receive some minor reward for some of these tasks.  Like whittling their first item, maybe they get five wood.  Whittling an idol gives them ten seeds.  Planting a crop gives them ten worms.  Just little things that may keep them interested and cause them to try and find more little gifts.

I own no continents.
10:24:01 pm arp washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0.01%)
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 03:14:51 am »

On cloud world, would it be possible to put a NPC that went through an actual tutorial?  Like he would assign tasks like whittle each item, fertilize ground, plant trees, ect.  With each completed task he would reward you with something and tell the benefits of what you just completed.

I think the last one could be to kill yourself.  after that he would reward you with a dcm and leave the island.  In his place would be a Tutorial complete statue with a constant 10 min timer.

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
Doctor Horrible
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 04:15:32 am »

On cloud world, would it be possible to put a NPC that went through an actual tutorial?  Like he would assign tasks like whittle each item, fertilize ground, plant trees, ect.  With each completed task he would reward you with something and tell the benefits of what you just completed.

I think the last one could be to kill yourself.  after that he would reward you with a dcm and leave the island.  In his place would be a Tutorial complete statue with a constant 10 min timer.

This.
arp
Centivelian
----------

10:30:53 pm [rebel]arp found 5 Gold Radishes!

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »

I own no continents.
10:24:01 pm arp washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0.01%)
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:37 pm »

Yeah, none of that is happening, sorry.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: Tutorial messages revamped
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group