TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 24, 2019, 03:50:19 pm
Home Login Register
News: Nitrogen removed a Grade 33 Fence for Cotyledon

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  A Helping Hand  |  Topic: Burnout 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Burnout  (Read 2026 times)
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

I'm not the one that's so absurd

« on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »

Some of TW's most rewarding experiences only become available once you have played for months/years. You should be aware of factors that contribute to burnout if you think you would like to be part of the TW community long-term.

• Avoiding interactions with other players
  • Focusing on one skill
  • Designing bases so fence refreshing is tedious
  • Relying too much on external means (keyboard macros, for example) to play for you
  • Feeling guilty after raiding another player
  • Fearing retribution after raiding another player

clatra sacrificed 38610 Seeds to a Coachwood Tree
Abyss Rose
Centivelian
----------

No Comment

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:08:24 am »

I would just like to post something to go with Clatra's post.

you WILL be raided, it's part of the game, no mater how nice or friendly you are. There are some people who just enjoy taking what others have worked for. How you handle getting raided is the importent part.

Fear of getting raided and checking the logs/forum/irc/fence-line incessantly will lead to rapid burnout.  Just keep this in mine, most raiders just want your stuff not your land, you can replace whatever they take.
Old Flinnt
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:49:33 am »

Islands are a great protecting place for your stuff. Im sure Travis would be more than happy to add one for you for a small price Smiley
Doctor Horrible
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

Yes, and the nice thing about raiders these days. If you try not to make waves raiders chop in, steal your stuff, and run back out usually plugging the hole behind them.

Vendetta raiding is different but I know few raiders who's buttons are so easily pressed to want to destroy your stuff.

Also, i would like to say theres a corollary to clatra's statement about macros. They can also help you more enjoy your stay at toadwater. When you get to the point where you have 10,000 pieces of wood you want to whittle into planks. Watching a computer press the button makes the game much more fun than pressing that button yourself.

I do not advocate running a macro unattended. That is against the TOS and constitution mind you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:30:14 am by Doctor Horrible » Logged
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:07 pm »

Getting raided does not, strictly, lead to burnout. It can lead the raidee to want to quit but that is different from burnout (burnout being something in the player's control).

A raiding thread would be appropriate, but let's keep this one on topic.

As for whittling 10,000 pieces of wood, my opinion is that for a lot of players whittling a little, constructing a little, foresting a little, farming a little, etc is more likely to keep them interested in TW.

I also challenge that sitting in front of the computer watching for popups while a macro types P 10,000 times would not contribute to burnout. I say consider ways to avoid needing to whittle 10,000 planks in a short period of time. Yes, this requires some creativity. And, I suppose, avoiding the creative aspects of TW is your prerogative -- play the way you want to play, for heaven's sake -- but beware that it may contribute to burnout.

arp
Centivelian
----------

10:30:53 pm [rebel]arp found 5 Gold Radishes!

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:42 pm »

Regarding getting burned out, I would recommend getting help with writing some decent macros in order to prevent yourself from burning out.

I do not think every process should be macroed but it definitely makes the game seem less tedious.  Another way that has already been stated is to be involved.  Hang out on IRC, make some friends, and get yelled at by twisti.

If you want to enjoy Toadwater just get involved with everyone else!

I own no continents.
10:24:01 pm arp washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds:(0.01%)
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:23:18 am »

Yeah, IRC is definitely the #1 way to avoid burnout, because it gives you something to occupy your mind with while doing repetitive and boring tasks.

As for macros, I'd ask that you keep such discussions of this forum. It's a volatile topic that does not really belong into this particular forum.

Edit: By "forum" i mean "A Helping Hand", obviously, not all of the TW forums.

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
clatra
the fool
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »

Twisti, there are around zero players in #toadwater that have not burned out. One could argue that #toadwater actually contributes to burnout.
 Cheesy

In that vein, if you have burned out of TW at least once, take a moment to reflect on what lead to your decision to leave TW for a while then post your thoughts here. I have been playing almost five years on this character (longer with other characters) without burning out -- I am not sure if that is a record or just an indication of my insanity.

I am NOT saying that your goal should be to play TW forever. Although Travis would surely thank you for it.

[EH?]lazyguy
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:24:54 pm »

Twisti, there are around zero players in #toadwater that have not burned out

...but we eventually do come back...

8:12:23 am   VulpinoRosado was carried away by [EH?]lazyguy's Bearded Vulture, and got dropped into World f5 g1!
[EH?]korobatsu
Centivelian
----------

Ich liebe meinen Holzfäller.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »

... although it isn't to play competitively (for me).  Playing competitively causes burnout IMO.  You feel like to "have to" advance a certain skill in order to maintain your worth, and that missing edicts will cause you to fall behind "too much."

This time around I just have some fun goals set for myself: whittling and constructing grade 25 fences with no more than a single buff and 100% imperial gloves.

* Myrrdin does a little dance
* korobatsu makes a little love
* Myrrdin gets down tonight
* korobatsu gets down tonight

5:45:50 am [EH?]korobatsu whittled a Sugar Maple Idol (Odds: 1.38%) (+ Super Thirst Surge Bonus x2 - Bonus: 640%) 100 (Desired: 204057.971014) (Thirst: 100)     
408116 xp
tadpole
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 02:05:56 am »

Indeed  Smiley. When I first played several years ago, I loved TW. I was lucky enough to only be raided once (and not too badly) and got along so well with my neighbor that we let rot our inner fences, only keeping up the outer fences. #Toadwater was quite nice and I'd advise and new player to pop in and visit. The folk there were interesting and, for me, it helped stave off burn out. I admit Twisti gave me a bit of a startle when I was a new player and visiting #Toadwater  Smiley. All in all though, he is a rather alright fellow.
I had to quit due to health and family issues rather than burn out. I missed the game as it's quite fun and one of the few I both enjoy and can actually play. Something I've done to keep interested was I tinkered with my graphics and sounds. Once I had TW with a Mario theme. The outhouse was a warp pipe  Cheesy. Changing how it looked and sounded kept it some how feeling fresh and fun. Drawing or using ripped sprites gave me something to do when I was ageing trees that kept my interest in TW while not too actively playing.

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  A Helping Hand  |  Topic: Burnout
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group