TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 03:14:05 am
Home Login Register
News: Mopsi constructed some Grade 29 Fencing Materials   (Odds: 100%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  A Helping Hand  |  Topic: Advice from noobs, for noobs. What would you like to know? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice from noobs, for noobs. What would you like to know?  (Read 1965 times)
[FFFUUUU]MidnightWolf
Centivelian
----------

~Richard Biffle

« on: January 12, 2011, 05:44:32 am »

We are in the process of putting together a more complete tutorial for new players, a tutorial island of sorts where you are given quests to complete that will help you learn more of how the game works, and show you crops, trees, and other skills/items/actions that you may not be able to use until higher levels. I would like some advice from new players on things that they would like to see in the tutorial. What did you have a hard time figuring out when you started? What do you feel could be better explained? If you have any suggestion, please post them here. We're making this for the new players, and I would love the new players to contribute to it's creation.

For older players, please visit the thread in the development forum, here.

A short little chap, bouncy in stride
Harvests the crops he grows with pride.
Berries ripen, plump figs dangle
Around the nettles green herbs tangle.
The tiny gardener while chewing on rye
Winks to a field mouse as he passes on by...
~Jacob King
Mewmew
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »

Being a newbie I guess it's okay for me to reply here?

As a new player who just went straight into the game rather than reading around - I can say a lot was hard to figure out.  I'm assuming this is what you're making it for - people who just want to go in and play rather than read manuals out here first?  It's not that I'm lazy or anything, I just wanted to check out the game and see what it was and just didn't look for manuals, so I went into a world that I was semi lost in Cheesy

One of the hardest things to figure out as someone who didn't read stuff online was how to get new and different seeds.  I kept thinking maybe if I dug enough or got higher level that I'd dig up better ones.  I had *no* clue it had to do with making an Idol and putting it on a tree, feeding the older type of seeds to it.  That is one of the most major things that halted my earlier progress when I didn't know about that so that is like the most important thing I think to have in a tutorial.  Seriously that's number one.

The entire reason I left Cloud World was thinking that was the only way to get new seeds, I would have stayed there building stuff up in Safety a while more if I had known the truth!  Now I'm just in N00b land hoping each day that I don't log in to find all my stuff gone Cheesy

Also I'd like to see it tell us about how we have to make all the items in order - how you have to successfully build one of each item type with construction.  You figure it out anyway, but you may as well put it in a tutorial Cheesy

Now I go to the wiki to search, but before I had no idea what idols were for, statues, bird houses, almost ANY item actually!  If we had a tutorial, it would be nice to have a person ask us to make one of each item and after we succeed it tells briefly what that item is used for.  For something like the tap which produces another item - he'd go on to tell what the product the tap got (sap) was used for as well.

Before we leave Cloud Isle - explain to us a little more about what we're getting into, rather than just saying we can't return.  Maybe hint to us to look up a map, let us know we'll be jumping to a random location, tell us the difference between the n00b land we're jumping into and the other lands we can move on to later.  Tell us what we can't do in n00b islands as well (fence, roads, etc).  Explain a little bit about the world beyond n00b islands too.  You don't have to get into great detail, but a little bit about the differences and what can happen.

Let us know if we need to make inventory room to simply sell items to do so.

Show us how to do a little gardening as well.  Have the player make some items to sell so that he or she gets money and have them sell it to get the money, then have us go into the buy menu to purchase some low level gardening things and just garden anything to start.

Tell us how our inventory can get full and how to avoid it (seed bags, selling items, etc).

Give us info about getting our own islands right in game.  *Maybe* even let us go to a preview of an island to look around but if not at least explain a little bit there inside the game about it.  Entice us and tempt us to spend money to get the island.  Explain other member benefits right there in game in the tutorial.  I'm not saying to force it upon people but just let them know more there in game.

And this part probably goes elsewhere - but as a real female I really would LOVE to be able to pick a female character...  I know you can say that all dwarves look alike and have beards if you like, but it still refers to the character as "him".  As I mentioned that is a suggestion that should go elsewhere.  Just if it did exist - we could assign our sex right there in the tutorial rather than change the way you create characters and get into the game.

Edit - I just farmed for the first time so yeah definitely explain farming too.  I had to look up in the wiki how to do it.  Everything else you use a tool to do it so it's not that self explanatory.  It may seem easy once you know, but it's confusing before you ever do it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:53:05 pm by Mewmew » Logged
[FFFUUUU]MidnightWolf
Centivelian
----------

~Richard Biffle

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:48:31 am »

Thank you! This is exactly the type of response I was looking for.  Grin Some of the things you suggested are already being worked on, or at least on my list of things to work on, lol, but others I hadn't though of. Like the Idols... I've been playing for years, and Idols are something I'm so used to, I hadn't even thought that they might not be explained, lol. If you think of anything else, or notice anything else you'd like to have explained while playing, please let me know!

A short little chap, bouncy in stride
Harvests the crops he grows with pride.
Berries ripen, plump figs dangle
Around the nettles green herbs tangle.
The tiny gardener while chewing on rye
Winks to a field mouse as he passes on by...
~Jacob King
clarkaelliott
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:34:06 pm »

I'm not new but I do wonder.
Has anyone taken the time with the new formula's to figure out what is the most efficient way of generating gold?
I'm guessing aging wood isn't going to cut it.
Currently making fences for gold on  Toadwater 2.
Magiclunarmoose2
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »

radish baskets seem an easy way.
PiNinja
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:49:14 pm »

now is it fences then sell or fences repair kits for the Construction xp then, fail, good xp, sell, good gold.

What happen to 2005, I swear we was just having fun.
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  A Helping Hand  |  Topic: Advice from noobs, for noobs. What would you like to know?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group