TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-(
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2022, 06:06:39 am
Home Login Register
News: Halcyon found a Salty Wiggleberry! (Total Found: 48911)  809 / 1342

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Halcyon's Modern Tavern  |  Topic: Returning Player's Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Returning Player's Questions  (Read 15196 times)
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« on: June 19, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »

Greetings.  I would like to introduce myself as a returning player to the Toadwater world, having first joined way back in 2004 (if memory serves, maybe late 2003).  Toadwater has certainly come a long way from the originator - Qill - to Goon's time in ownership, and on to the current folks who maintain the game.

Anyone remember the troll Faust?  How about Azentner - though not necessarily a troll.  Anywho, its good to see some familiar names around - Hempgrowerdan apparently is still top dog in TW1.0. 

As a returning player I realize I have a lot of catching up to do in the new version of Toadwater.  I have some questions for the folks who would be so kind to answer.  Some related to new game design/setup and a few general/friendly requests.

1. I've created my new character and am in Cloud World.  In the original Toadwater when you left CW, you were placed on certain continents depending on which "sky block" you jumped into.  Is this still the case - the verbage I've read so far leads me to believe it will teleport you to available space?  If it is still the case, where can I find a "new map" of the world if not the same, and where is there open land?

2. For all intensive purposes as far as I can tell the new world was started back late 2011 or so.  How "progressed" is the new world?  How large is the player-base? And are there new gods already established?  I only saw the frog statue in the "Statues" list which lead me to believe a) gods haven't been appointed yet, or b) I only have access to the frog statue as I'm still in Cloud World.  b) doesn't make a ton of sense though as the frog statue is incredibly expensive for a new players funds.

3. Are there any of the older players still around?  Folks probably won't remember me but my main was Sonarctica with Zerbak as my mule.  Didn't post a ton on the forums, just enjoyed playing.

4. Where is a good place to dropoff and set-up shop?  Are there any friendly gods or players willing to house a returning old fogey (lol) to have a decent sized plot of land to work with his honest, dwarven hands?  I don't know quite yet how much play-time I'll be putting in, so things like fence up-keep, etc. will be difficult, and as this server is probably already established, my level 3 fencing won't do jack against raiders or folks whom are already in the level 30-something trees.

Thanks,
Gamwof

5:32:23 pm Gamwof wove a Radish Basket (Odds: 4.84%) 165 xp
"1st Times a Charm!"

(798.82) 6.69:24 Gamwof found a Gold Radish! (Total Found: 1)
Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »

Welcome back.  There is a metric shit ton and a half available land in TW2.  The player base is much higher than the current 5 players still trucking away in TW1.  Make use of the chat in the client or by using the link at the top of the main page.

Gods are not established yet and wont be until all the skills are released.

Don't worry about statues ATM, they are not needed in the least bit for out of the starting gate characters. 

before you jump, make sure you get on the chat to talk to players as to how the portal system works

your lvl 3 fences will last along time in tw2...long enough for you to progress to higher grade.  I haven't heard of any raids in a long time, so as long as you have a layer around your hoards, they should be pretty safe.
Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43:52 pm »

1.  When you jump, you land in the middle of the main island.  There are some teleport portals to the Northeast.  Check out this map to see the available land:  http://www.toadwater.com/map-tw2.png

2.  The new world is still very young, we don't have gods yet.  Although the server is starting to age and should have some big events coming up soon.  Player statues are in the near future.

3.  I remember the name Sonartica a little.  There are a few older players who still live in the IRC channel (which you should join just as Mayer said).

4.  Pretty much any where you find land is good.  I advise against the south east where all the land is bordered by walkable water.  Fences last alot longer now, so your level three fences should let you play as much or as little as you would like.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  I will certainly check out the IRC when I get home this evening from work.  It appears as though the new map is far more complicated, and far larger, than the old TW1 map.

I will definitely have some homework ahead of me to figure out where I want to set-up shop in the new world.  Also suppose I have a significant number of fences to start farming before I hope on down. 

How is the game's economy?  I see an Auction House exists - never used it before - and there is a great deal of player trading - same as before.  Is it difficult for a new player to get started and established, or prices aren't so inflated yet that its impossible to purchase good items/seeds/bags/etc.?

Thanks again to both of you for responding Smiley.

"1st Times a Charm!"

Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about the economy.  Anything you can't make, can easily be traded for ghost peppers and gold radishes, so just stock pile those.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »

I attempted to hire a worker today and am wondering if this is a bug (scanned the bugs report and didn't see anything) or if I'm just really bad at math without a calculator...

I'm trying to hire a worker for 2 hours that has a Wage of 63.00g and I have 176.92g shown on my Info Center.  I keep getting the error that I do not have enough funds to hire... 63x2 = 126g for the two hours.

Is there some minimum gold I have to have left over in order to hire a worker, or am I entering my number in an improper format "just typing '2'"?

Might seem trivial, but I need a worker to help me out during my workday O_O.

"1st Times a Charm!"

Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:29 pm »

I attempted to hire a worker today and am wondering if this is a bug (scanned the bugs report and didn't see anything) or if I'm just really bad at math without a calculator...

I'm trying to hire a worker for 2 hours that has a Wage of 63.00g and I have 176.92g shown on my Info Center.  I keep getting the error that I do not have enough funds to hire... 63x2 = 126g for the two hours.

Is there some minimum gold I have to have left over in order to hire a worker, or am I entering my number in an improper format "just typing '2'"?

Might seem trivial, but I need a worker to help me out during my workday O_O.

It's really confusing.  The worker hire times are in metric hours (1.4 hours per real 1 hour).  The wages are in regular hours.  So it tries to charge you for 2.8 hours.  I've never noticed that before.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:02:01 pm »

Ahh, that would explain it, heh.

I suppose most folks won't notice that unless you are dirt poor like me at the moment, heh.  Anyway to add a hover over note, or change/update this? 

Thanks for the quick response, I assume you get pinged when a new post pops up on the forums?

"1st Times a Charm!"

[rebel]arp
Centivelian
----------

The Baddest of Them All

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

He really likes forum activity so he checks it quite frequently.  If you are looking for trade-able items as a newer player then ghost peppers and gold radishes are your best options.  People pay fairly well for both of them.  I would recommend continuing to plant those peppers, the crop is incredibly self-sufficient even at early levels.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:39:06 pm »

I can't discount the importance of forum activity either, it helps to show the game is alive and enhances the community Smiley.

Is the spawn rate of Ghost Peppers about equivalent to those of gold radishes?  I am surprised to not find one yet in my farming of peppers.  I agree on self-sufficiency and think it fills a good gap for farming, as in the old days radish farming was a steep curve initially on seeing results.

Can someone explain the bamboos to me?  I honestly don't quite understand the premise.  I'm guessing it is used to help increase forestry skill quickly?  Also, as you can make a basket and I think some type of gloves, is it the early carry over for building up weaving experience?

"1st Times a Charm!"

Ex
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »

http://toadwater.com/Guide/index.php/Maso_Bamboo

Excalibus washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds: (0.01%)

Excalibus successfully washed 3 gnarled carrots and found 2 Elder Carrots. Odds: 0.04%

Excalibus successfully mined six Ring Ore from a Bilfornite Mine! Odds: (0.01%)
Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 06:14:57 am »

Sadly, I don't get a loud beep when someone posts but you caught me right as I was about to go off to school.  I agree forum activity is something that makes the game look alive.  The biggest problem is after a while, it's just players either complaining, asking questions that have been asked a ton, or suggestions (which would be cool).  Most players hang out in IRC, so we get a ton of the ideas posted there, meaning the boards are frequently overlooked.

And yes, the ghost pepper percentage is about the same as gold radishes, so you should start to find a find.

You are right about bamboo.  It's mainly a new player tool to level up forestry quickly and get a little weaving/textile exp. The items you make are pretty useful too.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »

If the bamboo is meant for "early" weaving experience, what do the developers/admins consider early?  I ask because as a mid-50's player, I have only a few thousand gold in my attempt to collect materials as a high priority for jumping. 

A weaving loom costs around 100k gold, much higher than I would think a beginner has access to.  I think the Bamboo is an excellent tool for leveling Textile early, but I think the cost of Weaving items is the limiting factor for limiting that pursuit.

Perhaps make it so you can weave without the loom, but chance of success is lower or something.  That way new players can develop weaving by doing it by hand, but they have a fail risk associated with it.  Will develop Weaving skill early on, and by the time they go to make hemp items, they'll be able to afford the 100k gold loom.

"1st Times a Charm!"

Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

It's not very clearly said, but you don't need any textile/weaving machines to do bamboo.  Just use a scrutching sword on the bamboo to get stalks, and an axe to get shoots.  The shoots and stalks get weaved together to make the items.

It would be ridicules to expect new players to raise that kind of capital.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

Ahh,  I knew about the textile from Scutching, but didn't know I could combine using my hands for the "weaving,"  great minds think alike!

How does one actually perform the act of weaving with hands?  Do you use the combiner, place on the ground then stack the other one, left click one and right click another?

Thanks again.  Hopefully these questions haven't already been asked.

"1st Times a Charm!"

Travis
Administrator
----------

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:56 pm »

Ahh,  I knew about the textile from Scutching, but didn't know I could combine using my hands for the "weaving,"  great minds think alike!

How does one actually perform the act of weaving with hands?  Do you use the combiner, place on the ground then stack the other one, left click one and right click another?

Thanks again.  Hopefully these questions haven't already been asked.

Select the stalks, then click the bag icon on the weaving tab or the glove icon.  The bag makes a radish basket, the gloves make milking gloves.  Always happy to answer questions.
Gamwof
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:20 pm »

Thanks much.  I unfortunately can't access the IRC at work, so will have to wait for evenings to join the party.

"1st Times a Charm!"

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Halcyon's Modern Tavern  |  Topic: Returning Player's Questions
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group