TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 12:59:08 am
Home Login Register
News: Crowbarella wove 7 squares of Imperial Cloth  (63 xp, 7 cloth, 100 yarn burned, 1 use taken)  (Odds: 78.14%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Mopsi's Modern Tavern  |  Topic: Some pretty big changes to how Totems work, Please read if you use totems. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Some pretty big changes to how Totems work, Please read if you use totems.  (Read 1192 times)
Travis
Administrator
----------

« on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »

Quick one sentence summary:  Using totems below the wood you normally whittle now has a massive experience penalty.

Totems offer awesome experience and were intended to be a rare but extremely helpful event.  The biggest problem with the old totem system, that higher level players could quickly craft low level totems and use them as a training method to get millions of forestry experience.  To reduce using totems not around your level, an experience penalty has been added.

How it works (warning math):  Look at your whittling and forestry skills with what ever buffs you currently have, pick the higher one.  The highest skill is then divided by 25, round down.  This is the tree level that the game thinks you should be working on, at the minimum.  Using totems of this level or higher, have no change.  Totems below that level get an experience penalty that fits this formula, Normal Experience * (1 - (TreeLevel - Totemlevel)^2/TreeLevel)).  At the minimum, you get at least 10% of the normal experience.

This change is already in the code.  Hopefully this prevents any abuse of low level totems but keeps ones that match your level awesome.
Xirah
Full of Good Ideas
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 03:11:20 am »

Ugh. That squared-scaling is brutal. All the 10k-20k redwoods I just planted are worthless. :x
Even my western hemlocks are -40%.

Fuq.

Whittling: 350     (Rank 34)  6,089,676
Mining: 129     (Rank 42)  74,350
Tinkering: 62     (Rank 10)  1,396
Cooking: 526     (Rank 3)  30,374,340

1. Xirah whittled 34381 items today for 6013533 experience. (47.75 hrs.)
1. Xirah has earned 8477890 cooking experience today. (0 strawberries was
Ex
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:19 am »

yeah good thing i stopped at 5k butternuts, they will literally sit there and rot for the next several years lol

Excalibus washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds: (0.01%)

Excalibus successfully washed 3 gnarled carrots and found 2 Elder Carrots. Odds: 0.04%

Excalibus successfully mined six Ring Ore from a Bilfornite Mine! Odds: (0.01%)
Xirah
Full of Good Ideas
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »

Any chance it could be bumped to linear scaling?

With linear scaling, it'd still be a hefty penalty to chopping lower trees. Anyone trying to get forestry exp would be stupid to chop anything more than 1-2 levels lower than their "TreeLevel", but at 4-5 levels below they still might do it by hand to get better wood yields and just bite the bullet on the lower exp. And as far as higher end players chopping level <10 trees.... pfffft @ the exp you'd get even with linear scaling (less than half).

I'd consider ~20% exp loss to be the cutoff point where I'm unwilling to chop using an axe anymore, even though the wood yields would be greater than using workers. With quadratic scaling, I hit that level of exp loss at only 2 wood levels below my TreeLevel.

That creates a really uncomfortably tight window where trees a few levels too low = little/no forestry exp; and trees a few levels too high = can't whittle the wood. Put another way: almost all of the trees between 1 and your whittling level are worthless to you. This seems kind of silly to me.

Linear scaling = a fair disadvantage for lower trees.
Quadratic scaling = almost all of the trees between 1 and your whittling level are worthless to you.

Also: the exp penalty should cap at 25% of normal experience.... equal to what you'd get without a totem.

Whittling: 350     (Rank 34)  6,089,676
Mining: 129     (Rank 42)  74,350
Tinkering: 62     (Rank 10)  1,396
Cooking: 526     (Rank 3)  30,374,340

1. Xirah whittled 34381 items today for 6013533 experience. (47.75 hrs.)
1. Xirah has earned 8477890 cooking experience today. (0 strawberries was
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Mopsi's Modern Tavern  |  Topic: Some pretty big changes to how Totems work, Please read if you use totems.
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group