TOADWATER IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TOADWATER!
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2021, 12:14:31 am
Home Login Register
News: Crowbarella wove 10 squares of Imperial Cloth  (90 xp, 10 cloth, 100 yarn burned, 1 use taken)  (Odds: 71.62%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  The Padded Cell  |  Topic: House buying experience? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: House buying experience?  (Read 1987 times)
Gogoat [AF]
Centivelian
----------

« on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:40 am »

This is a weird question for toadwater, but I'm going to try, as I believe toadwater peeps to generally be wise.

I've been renting apartments and such for most of my adult life, but I wish to own my own place soon. Does anyone have some experience with buying a home?

I'm thinking about trying to get some pre-approval from the bank, but before I start looking for places, aside from saving for down-payments, what else should I be doing?

I really appreciate any advice. Smiley

thanks.

EDIT:
I should add, I have already taken a sneak peek at my credit report and while it's not fantastic, there are no bad marks, so I've done that already :p.   

Party on, folks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:44:31 am by Gogoat » Logged
ali
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »

start talking to everyone you know in your area about real estate agents they have used/heard of.

The market in Austin was so nuts last year, that there were multiple agent/client pairs in almost every house we went to. It was amazing and sad watching people be sold on crappy houses by the agent that was supposed to protect their interest. At that same time our agent was showing us all the flaws that the owner was trying to hide with a oat of paint. Water damage, rot and even foundation cracks can be almost completely hidden with a coat of paint or two.

Our agent also had a great eye for seeing potential in houses. We ended up moving quite a few walls in our new house based on ideas he mentioned.

Lastly go see houses even if the MLS pictures are garbage. Others won't and you may get a great house cheep. Our house was on the market 3 weeks before we put in a bid while most had multiple bids the day before it listed. The House inspector said it was the best maintained house he'd ever seen for its age. Its worth taking the time, you might get lucky like we did.
Nicodemus
Toadwater Artisan
Toadwater God
----------

You can unlock any door if only you have the key

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »

I don't know if this applies to places other than Maine, but I have heard harsh stories about not-so-great well water.  I know of two people who had to have a new well drilled to replace their old one in their new place and the cost is staggering.  I would see how recently the well was prepared, if it applies to your area.

Also, have someone go with you to look at the house of your choice.  Your friend might notice something (or think of something) that you didn't.  Could work in your favor  Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:53:21 pm by Nicodemus » Logged

banner by JadeWolf

9:31:05 pm   Nicodemus washed 7 Sun Fungus, now it's very shiny. Odds: (0.01%)
MotCR[Eh?]
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:05 pm »

I agree with Nico on that one, If you look at a place with well water, ask to have the water sampled first to check how well the softener/purifier system works.
Also if the house was built before the mid 70's or so, check the ductwork, and insulation for asbestos. (Can be very costly to have removed, also a health hazard.

If the basement is not finished check the outside walls for cracks/signs of water.

If you know any tradesmen see about having one of em come with you to see if there is anything mechanical that they see a problem with.
tnttoad
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:18 am »

Are you a Veteran? also check out Zillow.com in your area

Are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie
Gogoat [AF]
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »

Not a Vet, checking out Zillow

Thanks everyone for the help Cheesy
Atalus
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:23 pm »

I don't know if this even applies to you, but you may want to check out USDA's home loan programs. I bought a house last year using it. Got a good interest rate and didn't have to have a down payment. You'll have to take a look at the requirements, etc. though. The home you're buying has to be in an area they consider to be rural (there's an eligibility checker/map on their website). I think it has to be your first home purchase. You also have to meet certain income guidelines. But anyway, if you meet the requirements it's worth looking into.
Pages: [1] Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  The Padded Cell  |  Topic: House buying experience?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group