TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-(
Toadwater Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2022, 11:28:02 am
Home Login Register
News: Halcyon planted an Industrial Hemp Crop  (Odds: 100%)

Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-( 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-(  (Read 1808 times)
Lackey Twisti
Toadwater God
----------

Test: teeeeest

Infected with Gay Fever

« on: February 25, 2022, 09:42:04 am »

Topic really says all there is to say. I'm terribly sorry, but Toadwater is going to shut down for good soon (within the coming weeks).

It probably comes as no or very little surprise that we don't have nearly enough players anymore to support the game, and the game has been running at a loss for many years now, which I've always covered from my personal income due to my love for this awesome terrible game that was such a huge part of my life for such a long time.

In addition, due to Travis vanishing without a trace, we are on course to lose the toadwater.com-Domain in less than a year, and there is nothing we can do about that (he had the only access).

Lastly, the direction of technology is moving towards blocking Toadwater in the state it's in with every passing year (because so much of it is inherently insecure and prone to exploitation), meaning it is becoming increasingly more effort to just keep the game running even as it is.

Many people, including me, have tried to revitalize the game over the years, but the truth is that the backend of the game is so broken, outdated, full of bugs and accidental personal details that everyone just ran out of energy and enthusiasm after realizing the state and the work necessary and gave up.

When this comes up, many people always ask about a single player or self hosted version of the game. Sadly, due to how much stuff is in the backend, from mails with bug reports pasted into code comments to things like database or server credentials as plain text passwords, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to give out that code.

It's been quite the ride, and I think we kept it on life support as long as possible, and considerably past what was in any way reasonable. Thank you all for all the support over the years, you really made this game what it was!

<+farmyb> id say my spelling and grammar is pretty good
Nicodemus
Toadwater Artisan
Toadwater God
----------

You can unlock any door if only you have the key.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 05:16:23 pm »

Sorry to hear the news.  I have loved this game since I began in 2007, lots of fun memories for me.  I'll take a lot of screen shots of what I have done.  Thank you twisti for all you have done. 

Fly on Thunderbird fly.. spread your wings to the sky

1:10:28 am   Nicodemus set a NEW RECORD, chopping down a Balsam Fir Tree and finding 5646 Seeds !!!
Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:05:21 pm »

Thank you for a huge part of my life.

-Mayer
Sgt Mayer
Toadwater God
----------

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:08:55 pm »

Ditto

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day...

Above all. . .Semper Fi
Bryan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 04:56:49 am »

Sad

[23:29] <[rebel]Epik> http://www.toadwater.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22454
[23:30] <[rebel]Epik> We have competition
[23:31] <@Jessy> thats not competition thats lunch.
Zim Foamy Fan
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 06:57:56 pm »

Sorry to hear!!

I'm a very very very very very different person nowadays, but I've always thought back fondly to this adorable little game that really sucked me in forever ago. I just happened to look up the game today because I was talking with a friend about metric time and I didn't realize how looking up millis and lacs would lead me to the wiki, and then to this message.

Thank you for helping provide people with this special little game. I'm sorry that the codebase is so impossibly tangled up with sensitive information that it can't be shared. While I ended up a software engineer and would be thrilled to offer my services, I understand that things like _plaintext passwords_ are kind of a dealbreaker for sharing things even when good intentioned and I get that if I offered it'd be a no, so I won't put you in that position. Besides, even good things come to an end at some point, and it's our job to have appreciated it while it was here and let it continue to live on in our warmest memories. This was a wonderful, quirky game that brought a lot of people together who may never have otherwise crossed paths. I'm happy that it happened.

I hope that everybody here finds it easy to come across joy when moving forward in their lives.

<3 Lily

macroing is cool

[00:30:00] <+EmperorWu> don't finish
[00:30:02] <+EmperorWu> I'm in.

[00:24:20] <Travis> I wasn't smart enough to back it up.
Trojal - DEAD
Centivelian
----------

Deviant Enclave Accepted Denizen (DEAD)

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 10:01:34 pm »

Die.  Grin

PS: For "fun" retro feelings, check out this time lapse of TW2 world map from 2014-2016: http://tw.trojal.net/timelapse-tw2.gif -- going through my TW tools and hacks and found it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:22:06 pm by Trojal - DEAD » Logged

[17:34] <mattsiegman> i got too many frikking pms during my vacation
[17:34] <mattsiegman> and every single one was a complaint about you
I'm your wiggleberry
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 08:59:06 am »

This what we get for not paying off those exorbitant tree taxes...

Oh well, maybe in some other timeline.

Side note: would be funny as fuck if it went down forever on 4/1
Kommodore Kyzoku
Centivelian
----------

(goat unrelated)

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 04:13:49 am »

Seems hard to believe.  I was starting to think that Toadwater would always be around, kind of like cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust.

Rates:

Sarcastic remarks: $1
Serious answers:   $2

Confused looks are still free.

(\__/)  (\__/)  (\__/)  (\__/)
(O.o )  (O.o )  (O.o )  (O.o )
( > < ) ( > < ) ( > < ) ( > < )
I'm your wiggleberry
Toadwater God
----------

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 02:28:34 am »

Now that I think about it, maybe some enterprising soul will find a way to turn it into an idle/incremental game...

Or perhaps it will just die and be forgotten. Who knows...
Nicodemus
Toadwater Artisan
Toadwater God
----------

You can unlock any door if only you have the key.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 11:46:54 pm »

In addition, due to Travis vanishing without a trace, we are on course to lose the toadwater.com-Domain in less than a year, and there is nothing we can do about that (he had the only access).

Many people, including me, have tried to revitalize the game over the years, but the truth is that the backend of the game is so broken, outdated, full of bugs and accidental personal details that everyone just ran out of energy and enthusiasm after realizing the state and the work necessary and gave up.

Sounds like its over.  The fat lady has sung.

Fly on Thunderbird fly.. spread your wings to the sky

1:10:28 am   Nicodemus set a NEW RECORD, chopping down a Balsam Fir Tree and finding 5646 Seeds !!!
Machine Gun
Centivelian
----------

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 01:04:19 am »

Damn, well i wish everyone the best. Its unfortunate it had to end like this. I only hope that everyone is well and that we may meet up again in a different game or platform!

http://www.toadwater.com/TWeb/CoinStore.php

11:56:05 pm Machine Gun constructed some Grade 164 Fencing Materials (Odds: 10.93%)  24007 xp
caspian
Toadwater God
----------

The Sometimes god (makes me sound like Y or W!)

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 04:56:00 pm »

I just saw this. I suppose it was inevitable...few programs last this long.

Thanks for all the hard work keeping it going this long.

Caspian the son of Caspian, lawful King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Lion
Lowell Ziegler
Apprentice
----------

I deleted the Win.ini file. I never win inithing.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 02:32:53 am »

Really sorry to see such a long time friend go.  Lots of hours over the years.  Not so many recently, but I was coming back to try.

"Some people without brains do an awful LOT of talking.  Don't they?"  The Scarecrow to Dorothy
HoardMan6
----------

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 08:39:16 pm »

Shocked it's still going.  (I was 'lowcrawler' back in the day -- apparently I used an email I no longer have access to.)

It was a really big part of my life for a few heavy years... made some good friends.

I'll always remember it fondly.
Pending, the Lion
Apprentice
----------

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 05:02:37 am »

Long live Toadwater.

Thanks for all the memories over the years.

Happy to talk to any old players on Discord: PumaFGT#0925
Breezy
----------

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 12:36:44 pm »

Sorry to hear this! Its funny, for the last two days I've been trying to find this game. I was wondering it was some wierd fever dream or did I really play it, lol. 

How much time do we have before it officially shut down?  I'm on my Chromebook so I haven't even tried to download it yet.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Toadwater  |  Toadwater Inn  |  Nicodemus's Classical Tavern  |  Topic: TOADWATER IS ACTUALLY DEAD :-(
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

The Toadwater Forums and Game are Copyright © 2014 The TW Development Group